Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=251046)

• Aug 20, 2008, 12:34 PM
    phkimball
    Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches
    I searched but couldn't find this exact question...

I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location featured a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. The second switch location only controlled the light. I capped the red wire and connected the black, white and ground wires to the light fixture. The light can be turned on from the switch that controlled both fan and light but the second switch that previously controlled only the light no longer works. Any thoughts?
  • Aug 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
    donf
    At the light fixture, remove the black wire and cap it off. Use the Red wire as the return wire to the light fixture's black.
  • Aug 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
    phkimball
    Thanks Don!
  • Aug 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
    phkimball
    Worked like a charm!
  • Aug 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
    scottfromBC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phkimball View Post
    I searched but couldn't find this exact question....

I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location featured a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. The second switch location only controlled the light. I capped the red wire and connected the black, white and ground wires to the light fixture. The light can be turned on from the switch that controlled both fan and light but the second switch that previously controlled only the light no longer works. Any thoughts?

I have the opposite situation... I just installed a fan in our stairwell with a wall switch that control the light and fan separately at the bottom of the stairs (3 wires - black, white, and blue)... Works great... What I forgot about is the switch at the top of the stairs... This switch just has the black and white wires that run to the fan... How do you wire the second switch so that it would only turn off/on the light on the fan? Thanks...
  • Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
    louigi2374
    Dude got a Q took down celing fan OK .now have 3 wires white red black. Going to put up simple light fixture .the light fixture wires are one white one black I've tried everything lol any suggestions.
  • Dec 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
    louigi2374
    Simple light fix need help OK here we go Took down the celing fan going to put up light fixture now I have 3 wires hangin . Order is 1 white 2 Red 3 black simple fixture has a black and a white. I hooked them up like asked stumped on the red when I hooked it up the light worked and stayed on the switch won't go on or of have a dimmer on it to can anyone help.
  • Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
    hkstroud
    Drop the "dude", we are not teenagers here. Write in complete sentences. What does "i hooked them up like asked" mean?

Assuming that the dimmer switch is a simple dimmer switch and not a fan control switch, connect the white to white, connect the black to black and put a wire nut on the red. If that doesn't work connect the black to the red and put wire nut on the black.