Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Wondered what this costs - ? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=735196)

• Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Wondered what this costs - ?
    I took both of my dogs in the get their nails trimmed yesterday. They did not see the Vet, and the Vet Tech did the trimming.

The total for both dogs was $56.00.

Does that seem high? What do other people pay? I appreciate they are very big dogs (150# and 90#, but still -)

I should have started trimming their nails myself when they were younger, but I didn't, I've seen Techs cut into the quick, and I'm afraid to start now.
  • Feb 20, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Lucky098
    At the clinic I work at, we charge extra if the dogs are bad and cause everyone on staff to help hold. Maybe they were naughty?
  • Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 PM
    JudyKayTee
    No, not a problem at all. The Tech came in and we "chatted" while she trimmed their nails by herself. No second person, no muzzles, no fighting.

She knows them so their sizes weren't a concern.

One sat on command and watched the other and then they switched.

That's a good point but, no, no problems.
  • Feb 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Lucky098
    Maybe they put the wrong code in and no one caught it.. I'm not sure why that is expensive... Have you called back and asked?
  • Feb 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
    JudyKayTee
    No - I wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable. I work and expect to be paid. I hate asking other people why/what they charge after the fact.
  • Feb 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
    joypulv
    My vet's office people have overcharged me more than once, shortchanged pills during a snowstorm, and generally charge so much I don't like going.
    Even when my 63 lb golden was put down, they charged me cremation for a 95+ lb dog. UGH!
    I have never paid for clipping nails though, so can't help there.
    I wonder if clipping would be cheaper if combined with other reasons for a visit?
  • Feb 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
    smearcase
    I don't have any recent experience but I am quite sure that we paid $ 25 to have our beagle's nails trimmed, and that had to be at least 12 years ago. We couldn't even attempt to do it ourselves as she went totally berserk if you just grabbed her paw to look at the her toes, but the vet wasn't aware of that (at least not the first time) so it wasn't any extra charge. Sounds like a pretty reasonable fee to me.
  • Feb 20, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Sariss
    Every place seems different.
    We have three prices - $25, $12, and $0.

The $25 nail trims are reserved for pets that require more than one person to hold, unless they are already paying for an exam, then it's $12.
    Most others are $12, including all cats.
    $0 nail trims are for pets here for an appointment that don't require 2 people to hold. They are also for nail trims that are super easy (ie tech does by herself or with owner's help).

That's just sort of how it is at our clinic. Everywhere else is different. I dislike charging people the $25 trim.
  • Feb 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
    grammadidi
    Seems high to me, but I live in an area where I can take 2 extra large dogs for a bath and nail trim for $80. :) What I'd do is call around to other vets/groomers for a price. I sometimes do grooming at home and I charge $5. each for a straight forward nail trim, no matter what the size of dog.
  • Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
    tickle
    Don't forget too. Nail trimming fir dogs with black nails Is cautionary because you can't see the vein in the nail.
  • Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 PM
    Lucky098
    A dog with black toe nails shouldn't increase a price.. If that's the cAse, don't go back to that clinics.

Everyone is so scared if cutting the quick.. It's not a big deal.. Most dogs don't even cry out..
  • Feb 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Lucky, I'm considering driving to Colorado with my dogs in 4 months so you can trim their nails. Get ready.

I called the Vet. It's $25.00 per dog. The overbilling was a mistake because the Tech thought she put flea medication on the puppy. I didn't request it and she "says" he didn't get it. I was not happy. If she did he has been overmedicated.

She swears it's a billing mistake.

So now we see -