Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cyberculture (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Why do people roast and call others out on the Internet? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=837371)

• Feb 21, 2018, 06:39 AM
    heartyangelgirl
    Why do people roast and call others out on the Internet?
    Since we have a somewhat new "culture" of calling out and roasting people on the Internet and a lot of people seem to be attracted to this kind of social media drama, would it be weird of me to admit that I fully disagree with this popular exchange of insults? Especially in the case of famous YouTubers or other Internet celebrities who feel the whole world, especially their fans, needs to know about some hate mail they got in their inbox or even get easily offended by anyone who expresses the slightest disagreement and immediately that person is deemed a "hater"? And then when their fans immediately jump in and defend their "dearest idol", uplifting and empowering the person they admire and look up to while disparaging anyone who, to them, has "thrown shade" on their favourite celebrity? Where's the equality in that? This world wasn't built on sameness and people are allowed to disagree, but they don't need to be brushed off and treated as "haters" unless they are mercilessly harassing a celebrity to the point of becoming a troll and at the very extreme, making death threats and that's where further action needs to be taken. Even with this all said, some celebrities make it a point to let all of their fans know about any kind of "hate" they get which then starts an online war of insults between one another and to me that just creates enemies rather than friends. Why can't they use their intelligence and just learn to deal with the matter diplomatically, maturely and privately so that neither they, nor the "hater" in question feel dehumanized?
  • Feb 21, 2018, 07:34 AM
    talaniman
    It's a reality check! Simply put and just my opinion, there are a lot of haters, and trolls with keyboard courage and too much time on there hands. Why do you feed on such nonsense as there are many better ways to explore the beauty and good in the world with other like people?

Personally I stay off the celebrity sites. When I do come across interesting articles about them, I skip the comments after.
  • Feb 21, 2018, 04:37 PM
    ma0641
    Personally,I couldn't care less about " celebrity" persons. Nothing but self aggrandizement.
  • Feb 22, 2018, 04:46 AM
    joypulv
    I see bits of this on the fringes and run in disgust. My question for you is why do you watch and read? Throughout history, there have been ways to gather and gossip and disparage, but the internet allows for that to enlarge to a size of unlimited number. Oh, and people were busier back then, having to survive.

I'm 71. I've watched countless celebrities have their years of fame, then some bow out gracefully, and some hang on using desperate means. Ask me if I care.
  • Feb 25, 2018, 10:17 AM
    cdad
    I see the problem as 2 fold.

One: you have a culture that is addicted to the internet and all of its features including its shortcomings. People mercilessly seach for information and clickbait to the next thrill line. In these days there are almost as many bots operating in the internet as there are people at any given time. That being said people unleash them to play games with the addicted.

Two: those alerts you keep getting are a way to manipulate you into looking at whatever "they" want you to. It is an artificial enviroment created by others to make you think something is going on when it is not. On youtube you can but subs. So at the end of the day what really does it mean to have subs ??? This instant celeb of the moment is just a twinkle in internet times.

Turn it off and step away and you will thank yourself.
  • Feb 25, 2018, 11:54 AM
    talaniman
    Great post CDad, but I'am confused by this part of it...

Quote:

On youtube you can but subs. So at the end of the day what really does it mean to have subs ???
    Help! 8O
  • Feb 25, 2018, 12:22 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Great post CDad, but I'am confused by this part of it...

On youtube you can but subs. So at the end of the day what really does it mean to have subs ???

Help! 8O

"On YouTube, you can buy subscriptions. So at the end of the day, what really does it mean to have subscriptions???"
  • Feb 25, 2018, 04:43 PM
    Crowley666
    Because people think they are better than other people. People are very cruel in today's world. Don't ever care to worry about the others feelings. M
  • Feb 26, 2018, 02:39 PM
    cdad
    Yes thanks Wondergirl. Yes I didnt check what I had written and the word was supposed to be "buy" not but. When the top people on youtube are making in the millions it becomes a self serving prophacy. So popularity is really an illusion.