Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Laptops (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Computer Problem (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=10313)

• Jun 15, 2005, 12:56 PM
    loonypat
    Computer Problem
    Working on a computer that will not work at its home location. Bring it into the office or take it to my home - works fine. Cannot figure out the problem. Can't operate computer at all at home location - continuosly locks up one right after the other, have to alt control delete to reboot or completely unplug. Added a usb port recently thought that may be the problem but works in different location. Home monitor has a little wiggle in it - no bent pins, one missing, but believe that may have never been there. Could the monitor wiggle be causing the lock up? Operating System is Windows ME. Lots of hard drive space, 128 mb RAM - wanting to upgrade, but waiting to see if it will run where it is supposed to.
  • Jun 16, 2005, 04:26 AM
    LTheobald
    First thing to try is to boot into safe mode. Hold done F8 as your PC boots and it should show a screen where you can boot into safe mode. If you can get into safe mode, then load up MSConfig (Start >> Run >> Type in "MSConfig" >> OK).
    Take a look in the startup tab and disable anything you don't think is essential. Then reboot back into normal mode. If you can get in this time, one of the programs you disabled is causing the problem. This is where trial and error comes in. Try turning on the processes one by one and rebooting until you hit the one causing the problem. Then just leave this one off. Let us know what it is though so we can see if we can fix the problem.

One question though. Is this PC you are carting around a lot a laptop? If it's not - stop moving your PC around so much. Desktops aren't built for constantly being moved around.

Finally, if you are upgrading - get rid of Windows ME while you are at it. It's terrible unreliable.
  • Jun 18, 2005, 07:28 AM
    fredg
    Not work at home
    Hi,
    Have you checked your electric wall outlet?
    Check it with a voltage meter. It could be that it has some power surges on it.
    Are you plugging the computer into a surge protector or simply plugging it into the electrical wall outlet?
    Varying electrical voltage could possibly cause this.
    If all else is the same, such as same setup, etc, the current to the computer is probably the cause.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
  • Jun 18, 2005, 02:22 PM
    ScottGem
    No way does problems with electrical power cause this. Haven't a clue where anyone would think that. It is unusual that it would freeze just at home though. I would look to see what's different (other then electrical power).
  • Jun 19, 2005, 02:50 AM
    lastshooter
    Moniter
    Try using a different moniter ;)
  • Jun 19, 2005, 05:54 AM
    fredg
    Computer not booting up
    Hi, again,
    I still think, that if nothing else has changed, the only option is to check the voltage at your electrical outlet. Have you checked it yet?
    It is possible; I have seen it happen before, but it is rare.
    Best of luck,
    fredg