Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The Trump Government At Work (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=845796)

• Jun 22, 2019, 07:42 AM
    Athos
    The Trump Government At Work
    SAN FRANCISCO (CN) – The Trump administration argued in front of a Ninth Circuit panel Tuesday that the government is not required to give soap or toothbrushes to children apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border and can have them sleep on concrete floors in frigid, overcrowded cells, despite a [law] that requires detainees be kept in “safe and sanitary” facilities.

All three judges appeared incredulous during the hearing in San Francisco, in which the Trump administration challenged previous legal findings that it is... mistreating undocumented immigrant children at U.S. detention facilities.

“Are you arguing seriously that you [are not required} to do anything other than what I just described: cold all night long, lights on all night long, sleeping on concrete and you’ve got an aluminum foil blanket?” Fletcher asked Fabian. “I find that inconceivable that the government would say that that is safe and sanitary.” ... you’re putting people into a crowded room to sleep on a concrete floor with an aluminum-foil blanket on top of them ...

“The first thing you do is honor the plain meaning” of words like “safe” and “sanitary,”

“Today we have a situation where once a month a child is dying in [federal] custody,” ...the Border Patrol facilities are secure, but they’re not safe and they’re not sanitary.”
  • Jun 22, 2019, 10:08 AM
    talaniman
    Add cruelty and willfull child abuse to this administrations resume of lying, cheating, stealing, and bullying, as well as incompetence. Wonder if all those things are the worth the price of some conservative judges, and tax cuts.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 12:01 PM
    tomder55
    agree .................deport them; end of problem. The Border Patrol and Ice has begged Congress for more money to deal with this unprecedented influx of illegals .
    If only we could think of some way to stop the inflow..... like some kind of barrier.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 12:51 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    If only we could think of some way to stop the inflow..... like some kind of barrier.

Help the good guys in their countries fix what's wrong.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 01:18 PM
    tomder55
    I already sent a letter to my Rep Nita Lowy to take action to send more resources to assist border patrol and ICE in managing the detention of illegals . But she won't . She's another open border Democrat .
  • Jun 22, 2019, 01:42 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

I already sent a letter to my Rep Nita Lowy to take action to send more resources to assist border patrol and ICE in managing the detention of illegals . But she won't . She's another open border Democrat .

What did she say specifically?
  • Jun 22, 2019, 02:35 PM
    tomder55
    haven't received a reply . But she heads the House Appropriations Committee .So she has the power to do something .
  • Jun 22, 2019, 02:47 PM
    talaniman
    Dems aren't for open borders, repubs just use right wing talking LIES for re election sound bites. Now they want money for concentration camps with no soap, toothpaste or blankets. Repubs make up the law as they go along egged on and with permission of the dufus, their party leader.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 03:00 PM
    tomder55
    you have a funny definition of concentration camps .These are the 1st ones in the world people are climbing fences to get in.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 03:14 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

you have a funny definition of concentration camps .These are the 1st ones in the world people are climbing fences to get in.

Very misleading, and you know it.

Anyway, children are certainly not included in your definition.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 05:51 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Bin there, done that and the latest barrier is Mexico to stop them or there will be a tariff barrier, perhaps that will be more effective than the border wall the Demonrats don't want. While ever you catch and release they will come, but deport them, push them back over the border. Once they realise they cannot stay the flow will stop
  • Jun 22, 2019, 06:01 PM
    tomder55
    The fact is that since the Flores decision by Judge Dolly Gee in 2015 ,illegals crossing the border seeking asylum with children has soared . Aliens have clearly gotten the message that if they ask to be put into asylum proceedings, their children — and often if not usually the adults, too — will be released into the country shortly after they are apprehended as they await their removal proceedings.Judge Gee made her ruling because the emperor was holding children in what the left now calls 'concentration camps' in what the left is NOW calling inhumane conditions .
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/u...?module=inline

I don't recall this sudden new found outrage then .
  • Jun 22, 2019, 06:08 PM
    talaniman
    There was outrage then and Obama changed that policy, but the dufus brought it back. Most asylum seekers do get deported after due process, still the right rages. Wonder why the law wasn't changed when repubs had full control?
  • Jun 22, 2019, 06:16 PM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Wonder why the law wasn't changed when repubs had full control?

Wonder why the Dems didn't address reparations and some of their more radical polices when they had full control .Ted Cruz among other Repubs called for legislation to address the flaws in the' Flores v Reno' decision last year .
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/841342002/
  • Jun 22, 2019, 06:47 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

agree .................deport them; end of problem. The Border Patrol and Ice has begged Congress for more money to deal with this unprecedented influx of illegals .

Terrific response.
  • Jun 22, 2019, 08:29 PM
    waltero
    Quote:

Now they want money for concentration camps with no soap, toothpaste or blankets.
    Uh, urr well yah! When did Concentration camps provide soap and Blankets?
    Call it what it is.
  • Jun 23, 2019, 03:16 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

When did Concentration camps provide soap and Blankets?

As I recall from history class ;it was not a good idea to go to the showers in a concentration camp.
  • Jun 23, 2019, 05:10 AM
    jlisenbe
    Isn't it strange how when Obama had detention camps, they were called "detention camps", but when Trump has detention camps, they suddenly become "concentration camps"?
  • Jun 23, 2019, 08:38 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Isn't it strange how when Obama had detention camps, they were called "detention camps", but when Trump has detention camps, they suddenly become "concentration camps"?

Would you rather be in Obama's detention camp or Trump's concentration camp? No rambling allowed; choose one or the other.
  • Jun 23, 2019, 08:44 AM
    talaniman
    I find it strange that the conversation is around what you call such camps rather than what goes on in them and how they are run.