Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Gardening & Plants (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Muddy back yard (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=2781)

• Mar 15, 2004, 09:26 AM
    riffraff1967
    Muddy back yard
    Hi - my backyard drops down about 6 feet, into a valley (shared by all neighbors). This time of the year, as the snow melts, my lower backyard becomes a mud bath, and my dogs cannot go out without needing a shower every time. I have two questions:

1. Short-term - What can I do right now to keep the dogs from getting all muddy - would something like hay work?

2. Long-term - I probably need to raise my yard a bit, and get some really tough turf growing - any ideas/opinions?
  • Mar 15, 2004, 01:39 PM
    labman
    Re: Muddy back yard
    This is a tough problem that I am fighting too. For now, scatter some straw or hay. It does help quite a bit.

I hate the stuff, but if the area is sunny, the tall fescue might survive. Try to use fill with a fairly sand or even gravel content so it won't stay as soft. Make sure there is some top soil. It is much easier to grow grass on good ground. I am fighting shade, dogs, and poor soil.

You can give up and scatter pea gravel. The trouble is that the dogs will pound it down into the mud in a few years and you will need to replace it.
  • Sep 23, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Lisa Stankus

I see that this is a fairly old question but as a new homeowner the problem of mud and dogs is very much alive! If anyone reads this perhaps you can offer me a suggestion for the same issue. The mud in the unfinished backyard (all dirt) is going to cause a problem with our two dogs very very soon. Any suggestions on how you handled this issue? Our # 1 restriction is Cash so please do not suggest to hire landscapers and put in a backyard! Thanks in advance!:p
  • Sep 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
    ballengerb1
    Depends a bit on where you live but a heavy mix of both annual and perenial grass seed can be raked into loose soil and start growing in 7-10 days. If you have a valley to contend with you may need to give us more details.
  • Sep 23, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Lisa Stankus

Thank you for your quick response. I live in Northern CA, Concord. I forgot to mention that I have huge trees, mostly the neighbors that make it pretty shady all day long so not sure if grass is going to grow but if there is a shady variety that could work for a part of the backyard. Drought conditions prevent me from putting in more than just a bit of grass. Which is cheaper/better pea gravel, rocks or mulch in your opinion?
  • Sep 23, 2008, 03:14 PM
    ballengerb1
    Material costs vary a great deal across the country so I'd suggest you call around. Pea gravel is not a good mix for your dogs unless its sveral inches deep. 1/2" of pea gravel is like ball bearing for my guys. From what I recall it may be tough to get much to grow in your area this time of the year.