Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Home Safety & Security (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Home/family protection (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=130717)

• Sep 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
    2007KEN
    Home/family protection
    I looking into purchasing a firearm for home protection. It's either a Glock G19 9mm,
    Glock G23 40 S&W or Sigarms P229R 9mm or 40 S&W. Which is the better firearm
    As far as quality, safety and stopping power?
    Being this is my first firearm, I will take the appropriate safety courses and joining
    A gun club.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Leslie H
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2007KEN
    I looking into purchasing a firearm for home protection. It's either a Glock G19 9mm,
    Glock G23 40 S&W or Sigarms P229R 9mm or 40 S&W. Which is the better firearm
    as far as quality, safety and stopping power?
    Being this is my first firearm, I will take the appropriate safety courses and joining
    a gun club.

It's more about which one you feel the most comfortable handling. As for stopping power the type of ammunition you fire has a lot to do with it. All of the guns you mentioned have the availability to use what is called "personal protection" bullets.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    If you are getting it only for in the home protection, none of them, if you want a home defense weapon a short barrel 12 gauge pump shot gun is by far the best home defense weapon, ( no aiming required)

And unless you are going to spend hours at the range every month ( and already are a good shot) you have no business using a pistol for self defense. Even trained police officers in actual exchange of gun fire only hit about 25 percent of their shots, a 9mm or a 40 will go though several inside walls, so if you shot at someone in the kitchen, you can hit your family member in the bedroom though a couple of walls.

Also unless you know beyond a doubt that you can kill someone ( and this is where many people freeze, or delay ) you don't need any firearm.
  • Dec 1, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Spanky07
    I agree with Fr_Chuck, a short barrelled shot gun would be a better choice for somebody who has little or no experience handing firearms. I would also advise the ammo have a high number of shot or pellets as this would lower the chances of a letal outcome

I would also advise against direct action, it would be far better to have your family regroup in a single room which you could defend easier, after all the contents of your home can be replaced, you or another family cannot!
  • Dec 1, 2007, 09:09 AM
    ZKiLLa
    Home protection,Gun?
    Ok If you live in a really really really bad area, Maybe get a gun.
    Sorry was going to go on about it, but if you don't mind killing someone who you don't know just because they maybe? Accidentley jumped your fence. Well go for it.
    Me I would prefer a dog, Most Criminals won't go near a place that has a dog.
    Much better to avoid the situation.