Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Architecture (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Right of way and boundaries (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=323443)

• Mar 1, 2009, 07:56 AM
    elaineoakham
    Right of way and boundaries
    How can I find out if there was ever a fence between the front paths of my neighbour and I? The house was built in 1870
  • Mar 2, 2009, 12:41 AM
    Clough

Hi, elaineoakham!

The first thing that you could do is to look for physical evidence. The next that I might try would be to contact people who've lived in the neighborhood a really long time. Perhaps there might be pictures at a local historical society or at the local public library.

Why are you asking the question, please? Is there some sort of issue going on between you and your neighbor?

Thanks!
  • Mar 3, 2009, 07:27 AM
    elaineoakham
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, elaineoakham!

The first thing that you could do is to look for physical evidence. The next that I might try would be to contact people who've lived in the neighborhood a really long time. Perhaps there might be pictures at a local historical society or at the local public library.

Why are you asking the question, please? Is there some sort of issue going on between you and your neighbor?

Thanks!

Yes , my neighbour has stopped the sale of my house because he wants right of way over my front path. It looks as if I will have to enter into a legal battle just to be able to sell my house. He is a barrister so I'm pretty sure that he knows what he's doing.

There has not been a fence since I came 18 yrs ago and the previous owners didn't have a fence either. He has been here since 1977.
  • Mar 5, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Fr_Chuck

I doubt that a fence over 20 years ago willl be a lot of help even if you prove it is there.

have you had a recent survey, have it proved according to the deeds what the property line is.

If it is, and you have had a front path for 20 years, merely having that path may allow you for right to have that.

Perhaps a counter suit for the lost of value of your property would be a nice idea.
  • Mar 9, 2009, 01:34 PM
    amricca

Why does he want right of way over your front path? Is it on his property or is his front path on your property? Just don't quite understand the issue here.
  • Mar 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
    elaineoakham
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    why does he want right of way over your front path? Is it on his property or is his front path on your property? Just don't quite understand the issue here.

He says that He's going to put a UN1 on my deeds. I think it's because he's been using my path since I moved here as there isn't a dividing fence and I've never complained! I don't understand myself but he is a barrister so I assume he knows what he's doing and he has managed to stop the sale of my house.
  • Mar 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
    smearcase

Highway agency right of way plats and road construction drawings might show the fence if you are close to a public road. Where I worked they kept those drawings way back, especially R/W plats.
  • Mar 11, 2009, 08:13 AM
    amricca

Have you spoken to an Attorney about this? I'm sure he knows what he is doing but you have rights too, like the right to sell your house.
  • Mar 12, 2009, 07:40 AM
    elaineoakham
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    Have you spoken to an Attorney about this? I'm sure he knows what he is doing but you have rights too, like the right to sell your house.

I have been to the local Legal Advice centre and they say that I have rights too and have written to my neighbours solicitors. However, I have lost my sale along with the value which is falling every day... could this drag on forever and who would want to buy a house with a neighbour that would do such a thing!