Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Teens (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=327)
-   -   Tell or wait? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=835619)

• Nov 19, 2017, 12:43 PM
    lacey14
    Tell or wait?
    If you had to tell your parents something that you know will make them disappointed in you how would you do it? I'm extreamly nervous about telling them and wondered if telling them myself was the best option or waiting until they find out themselves?
  • Nov 19, 2017, 01:45 PM
    smoothy
    They will be MORE upset if they find out before you tell them and PARTICULARLY if they knew that you was hiding it.
  • Nov 19, 2017, 06:37 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    The longer they wait not only will what you did disappoint them, you not being honest and mature and tell them will make them angry and cause them to lose trust in you even more.
  • Nov 19, 2017, 08:55 PM
    talaniman
    Of course you come clean with your parents. No good reason not to.
  • Nov 19, 2017, 11:30 PM
    Alty
    I remember all too well times when I had something to tell my parents that I knew they'd be upset about, and how scared I was to tell them. One incident in particular, they were out, my friend was over for a sleepover. It was winter and we had a lot of snow, and our tent trailer which we stored in the backyard had perfectly undisturbed snow, at least 2 feet of it, on top. I decided that I was going to make footprints on the top of the trailer. Well I got on top of it, and didn't think about the vent that was on the roof, which is what I was walking on. My foot went right through.

I was terrified. I knew that snow would now get into the trailer, and that the vent would have to be replaced. I was so upset that I asked my friend to go home, I didn't want any company.

For hours I sat waiting for my parents to get home, terrified about how they'd react. When they got home I told them, and my dad said, "that vent needed to be replaced anyway, and I can just brush off the snow and cover the hole with a tarp. It's no big deal".

All that worry for nothing!

Now that I am a parent there are times my kids do things that do upset me, but I'd much rather they come tell me about it than for me to find out some other way. No matter what it is they can always come to me. I may be mad or upset at first, but I love them, and my anger will soon go away. I would be much angrier or hurt if they didn't feel they could come to me with any problem, big or small, that they're having.

Talk to your parents.
  • Nov 20, 2017, 05:17 PM
    joypulv
    Some things really can't wait, like pregnancy.
    That's probably the # 1 thing that young women ask about online.
    Other common ones are flunking out of college, being expelled from high school, and getting arrested for shoplifting or drugs.

NONE of those should wait another minute, especially the first one.