Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Laptops (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Processor and Graphic Card Comparison (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=11428)

• Jul 30, 2005, 10:31 PM
    CyberSurfer409
    Processor and Graphic Card Comparison
    I'm currently looking at 3 different laptops. However, I've been unable to find a good site with information comparing the 3 processors, or graphic cards I'm looking at.
    Processor -Pentium 4 w/ HT Tech 3.8 GhZ 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache vs
    Pentium M 2.13Ghz 533Mhz FSB 2MB Cache vs
    AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 3700+
    The guy at dell said the Pentium M, has or works like 2 processors so would outperform the Pentium 4; as it would act like a 4 Ghz processor.

Graphic Card - Radeon 9700 128MB vs
    GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256MB vs
    GeForce Quadro

If anyone could tell me how these compare stats wise, and which one is most worth the money I would appreciate it. Even a website with stats (framerates, etc) would be helpful. Also, if anyone could verify that the guy at dell was speaking the truth I appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Cyber
  • Jul 31, 2005, 05:26 AM
    ScottGem
    The guy at Dell is partially blowing smoke. Another reason not to buy Dell. That most current Pentium 4s have Hyper Threading (HT) technology. HT means that your software can be programmed (by the programmers, not the user) to view the processor as dual processors. Essentially this means that the processor can be doing double the work at the same time. HT will speed up most tasks, but if the software is designed for it, there can be significant increases.

So both processors are hyper threading. A Mobile processor's clock speed is generally lower then a desktop's. That does not mean it's slower. Clock speed is not the only indication of performance. Generally you can about double a mobile processor's clock speed to compare it wioth a non-mobile processor. So the guy wasn't lying when he said it would preform like 4Ghz. He was just giving you a BS story about why. Basically, it sounds like the guy was trying to explain the clock speed difference to you in a way he thought you would understand. But in doing so he gave you wrong info.

The advantage of a processor specifically designed for mobile use is longer battery life, generally 50-100% better and a cooler running machine.

However, I prefer and highly recommend the AMD Athlon 64 processors. Right now the Athlon 64 is the only true 64 bit processor available to consumers. This means that when the new Windows Vista (I hate that name) comes out next year an Athlon 64 will be able to take full advantage of its 64 bit features. Also the Athlon 64 is the only processor with hardware anti-virus protection. When I needed to replace my desktop at the end of last year, I only looked at Athlon 64 based machines.

As for the video cards. Unless you plan on using the machine for heavy gaming it shouldn't matter much. Both are good video adapters.

Dell's service has been getting poor reviews lately. I think you will find, when you compare, that HP laptops are extremely price competitive with Dell once you compare the full configuration and include all the costs (like shipping).

Try tomshardware.com for comparisons.
  • Jul 31, 2005, 07:03 PM
    CyberSurfer409
    Thanks
    I just wanted to say thank you for the help. I think I can now decide which laptop I prefer. I wanted to let you know I did consider the AMD, unfortently the only laptop with AMD is through VooDoo and the system is not very good. Unfortently my only choice is between a good system with a Pentium chip, or a poor system with the AMD (unless I'm willing to spend another $1000 which I don't have). Anyway I really appreciate the help and thank you.

Cyber
  • Aug 1, 2005, 05:18 AM
    ScottGem
    Have you looked at HP models. They have several (both under the HP and Compaq brands) that use the Athlon 64 M chip.
  • Aug 25, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Faloc
    Hmm laptops ehh...

<ALIENWARE>

Best laptops in the world
    www.alienware.com
    http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT
    :D