Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Health Insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Is it Insurance Fraud? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=171528)

• Jan 12, 2008, 03:15 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Is it Insurance Fraud?
    So, here is the deal.

I am covered under my boyfriend's insurance. We broke up tonight, he is moving out on Monday. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. If I were to still use the insurance when we are not actually together, is this insurance fraud?
  • Jan 12, 2008, 04:01 AM
    oneguyinohio
    Probably there is a time limit I imagine? I've never heard of plans that covered girlfriends.

The policy should tell something about the time frames in those situations... Perhaps a declaration has to be made taking you off the policy... Some places only allow changes once a year... but for divorce, my ex stayed on my insurance until it was legally final... not sure how that works in your situation, so I'll be curious to see other answers. They also probably allow for the potential that arguments occur and people might get back together... so I would be surprised if your coverage ended immediately...
  • Jan 12, 2008, 04:38 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    It's called domestic partners...

So using the insurance while I'm still covered should be fine?
  • Jan 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Okay, thanks guys. Any other information would be really awesome, as well... Thank you.
  • Jan 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    No, it is not fruad, first you are automatically covered from the time of the payment, till the next payment is due. If he still pays then you are still covered the next month.

And if he Or you cancells the coverage because you broke up then at lest in the US, there will be a notice given to you prior to the coverage being cancelled.

Also laws vary by the county you live in, so telling us where you live helps
  • Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Grab the Brass Ring
    I have not worked in a State that provides coverage for domestic partners, but my limited background tells me that you must submit some form of paperwork that recognizes you and your significant other as domestic partners. Is that correct and, if so, it probably has to be submitted with the insurance paperwork through your employer. I would imagine that the insurance carrier would want to make sure that both parties are over 18, share a common living space, able to each sign a form acknowledging that they are partners, etc.

If that is the case, the carrier or State would probably require a form that dissolves the partnership as well. Until that is signed off by both people, your coverage will probably stay inforce and you would not have a problem seeing your provider next week.

The most quick and best answer is to call your insurance carrier. I am sure you do not want to commit insurance fraud since you submitted a post asking about it, so while our advice could be considered helpful, the easiest thing to do is call your carrier and ask them what their policy is.
  • Jan 13, 2008, 10:08 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Washington recognizes domestic partners, at least our insurance in Washington does. But yes, all this is correct. I don't know about the form to dissolve it, we weren't informed of this. But thanks for all the advice.