Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   How do you prove someone is crazy. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=76913)

• Mar 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Matt3046
    How do you prove someone is crazy.
    How do you prove someone has a pscological problem?
  • Mar 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
    J_9
    There are MANY MANY different ways. Can you provide some more insight?

Basically, and this is not the only way by far, but they have to be considered a danger to themselves or others.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Matt3046
    Sorry about the spelling,
    Let me try again
    How do you prove someone psychologically disturbed and possibly dangerous, before something happens.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Matt3046
    Well, you have seen my other post so you can probably guess I am talking about my daughters mother. I am rely just getting the feeling that she is out of touch with reality. And she is making these false accusations, yet no one has questioned, the soundness of her mind. I just think that these things should be taken into account.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    If you are wanting to have that person committed, it will vary greatly from state to state and is based on state law. In GA for example, as a police officer if we picked someone up on the street that appeared to be disturbed, ( our opinion) we could take them to the state hospital for a 24 hour observation, if they agreed, they would hold them over for a longer period ( I don't know how long since it was not part of our job at that point) but for several days, for indept observation, and commitment hearing before a judge if needed.

We also had where family members ( took three friends of family I believe) to sign and swear to those actions that showed the person distrubed, then they would make a petition in the family court for a hearing and to have the person evaluated.

But most of the all the mental health in patient, state paid facilities have been cut back, and only the very worst are keep, the rest are merely treated after a couple weeks in out patient

Now for the elderly it works similar where you have someone appointed as their guardian if you prove they can not properly take care of their resourses.

But in general your first step will be to get an attorney.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
    vlee
    If your ex would consent to being evaluated that would be the easiest way. But if she refuses you can request a judge to order a psych exam for your ex, although it will look better if you volunteer to undergo one yourself. (Fairness, fairness!) Your attorney should be able to tell you if you have the grounds to petition the court for a psych exam. It is my impression that usually both parties have to perform the evaluation anyway, so volunteering to do it in your petition to the judge would be smart. With the other things going on, you may find she is court ordered to be evaluated anyway.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Matt3046
    Thanks good advice (again) we seem to think allot. Alike V. That's what I figured.Sorry got to go lost is on
  • Mar 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
    vlee
    That's cool. I need to get off this crazy computer anyway. My family thinks I've disappeared.
  • Mar 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Megg
    I know how you feel. My mother has Pick's. She is mental and has been for almost all of my life. Does your kiddo's mom lack knowledge of things that happened several years ago? If she's losing memory that might be a concern. Does she have random outbursts of angry and rage? If so, that's another concern. For at least two year's wev'e been trying to get my mom some kind of help. For year's we delt with her blaming us for her crapy life, her yelling at everyone and objects, her mood swings that are everyday, her bursts of violence, and the loss of her memory. Finally we found out she had Pick's (here's a list to my post on it and fact's) https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...cks-54132.html We had to put her into a home, and now she hardly know's me. All this is to say, you need to speak with a doctor if she's desplaying any of these symptoms or the ones on my post.
    get her the help she needs.