Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Science Careers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288)
-   -   Job ideas for a physics major (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=787115)

• Mar 17, 2014, 04:11 PM
    jlisenbe
    Job ideas for a physics major
    My son has a degree in physics and is presently a teacher. He is wanting to explore other options. What else can he do with a degree (bachelors) in physics?
  • Mar 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
    joypulv
    I'm a bit floored that a parent is asking this for a grown child. I would have thought that all through college, a student of physics talks to professors about such things as careers and specializations. I'm not sure that there are any other jobs besides teaching. Possibly in the fracking industry, even though that's mostly about geology and chemistry? If he's passionate about physics, he should get a PhD.
  • Mar 19, 2014, 05:12 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

"I'm not sure that there are any other jobs besides teaching."
    Isn't that kind of like saying you simply don't have an answer?

I would be "a bit floored" if a parent of any child was as disinterested as you seem to think we should be. At any rate, I do thank you for your insight.
  • Mar 19, 2014, 05:29 PM
    joypulv
    I think it's wonderful that you are interested and supportive. I think it's potentially harmful for a parent to be doing the work for a grown child. I think your leap to the conclusion that I would let him do his own research means you are 'disinterested.'

I think a physicist needs a PhD, period. But I think that's a decision that should come totally from within him.

Re careers: to be blunt, I've known PhD theoretical physicists from MIT who said that without a concentration in a few fields, they couldn't get jobs except in teaching. One in a thousand get to work at CERN or such places.
  • Mar 19, 2014, 06:13 PM
    Wondergirl
    Does he want to get away from physics entirely, or add to that with another degree or training in something? If it's the latter, he might want to find out about certifications and further education available from the local community college or area schools. Physical therapy involves physics, for instance, but for that and for most other jobs, he will need another degree or specific training. A bachelor's just doesn't take someone too far nowadays -- depending on where he wants to go. He really needs to talk with a career counselor/coach to find out options and if he needs more schooling.
  • Mar 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
    jlisenbe
    Joy, he is searching. I'm just trying to add my two cents worth. I do understand your point of view.

He realizes he is probably looking at going back to school. The question is this: Should he continue to pursue physics, or work towards something else such as engineering?
  • Mar 20, 2014, 06:20 PM
    Wondergirl
    Where is his heart's desire?
  • Mar 20, 2014, 06:44 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    He can go into sells, or some management.. The question really is, what does he like, what does he want to do. If his passion is music, or outdoors. Or is he willing to do perhaps onlline or part time work going back to University for a masters or for a 2nd degree.
  • Mar 20, 2014, 07:02 PM
    talaniman
    What Jobs Can I Get with a Physics Major? | eHow

10 Jobs Involving Physics | eHow
  • Mar 21, 2014, 08:20 PM
    jlisenbe
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll pass the info along.