Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Parenting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Drinking and driving (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=3806)

• Jun 17, 2004, 09:29 AM
    lookingfor
    Drinking and driving
    My 19 year old daugheter got drunk and drove herself home. We have taken the car away except when using for work. What is a reasonable time to keep her from driving?
  • Jun 22, 2004, 08:33 AM
    Scorpio848
    Drinking and driving
    It is my opinion that a reasonable time would be, until she moves out. If she is living in your home and driving your car, you could be held liable for any damage she causes. Not only that, drinking and driving is a serious thing. One that warrants more than a slap on the hand or loss of car privileges for a month. Imagine the police showing up at your door telling you that she is dead or has killed someone else.
  • Jul 30, 2004, 10:02 AM
    Jahiem28
    Re: drinking and driving
    I have seen to many young bright kids pulled from cars wrap around a tree or turn over in the middle of a intersection. Just show her some newpaper clips of kids would were killed in accident. You have to teach reality to her. You as parent are truly blessed. A lot of parent do not get a second chance. Good luck!!
  • Dec 24, 2004, 05:11 PM
    dave5150
    Drunk driving
    19 is old enough to know better. Tell her if she wants to drive, pay for the car and insurance herself.
  • Dec 24, 2004, 07:11 PM
    urmod4u
    Drinking and driving do not go together.
    Your daughter should understand this - and she probably does. The big problem is that drunk people do not have the same judgment - they always think that they are still very lucid.
    For that reason, there has to be a repression, to keep drunk drivers off the road.
    The best way to go is that the one who drives the car, doesn't even take the first drink. Non-alcoholic drinks are allowed of course.
    Besides, an orange juice tastes way better than a beer.
    Forbidding things is useless. Young people don't give a da*n.
  • Jan 19, 2005, 05:23 PM
    sasquatch_tattoo
    Kids drinking and driving lessons
    My good friend shirley had a similar problem with her son drinking and driving, he came home drunk but safe, she took away all rights to the car for him, and arranged a "field trip" to the county morgue where he was subjected to viewing the bodies of people that had been killed in drunk driving incidents. If the lectures don't work, use more direct methods such as shirley. No one wants to see a mangled body, especially when it could have been thier's on a morgue table.
  • Jan 19, 2005, 11:00 PM
    psi42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahiem28
    Just show her some newpaper clips of kids would were killed in accident. You have to teach reality to her.

I think it would give a more lasting impression to explain to her just how much debt she would be buried in, and the jail time she might serve, should she kill someone while driving drunk...

Quote:

Jan 19, 2030, 04:23 PM
    Whoa... what?