Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Compiled Languages (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=466)
-   -   Making applications (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=23567)

• Mar 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
    jduke44
    Making applications
    I was approached by my brother the other day asking if I can make applications because I have general programming knowledge. The most I know is C. I didn't get all the info yet but I figured I would ask this question first. What programming language are most applications made from? I know this may be too general of a question but I was just curious. You can give the short versions of your answer as to not waste much time with it... yet. :D
    Thanks guys.
  • Mar 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
    CroCivic91
    If you know C, try Borland C++ Builder. I use it and I love it.
  • Mar 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
    jduke44
    That's a thought. What type of applications do you generally make with that? Thanks CroCivic91.
  • Mar 29, 2006, 03:41 AM
    CroCivic91
    I made all kinds of desktop applications with it... for example:
    - trojan horse
    - application for my high school, which helped someone make school schedule (when the given class uses which classroom)
    - application for selling tickets in a theatre
    - my own eBay search tool which runs once every day and does the given searches for me and saves the results in my folder
    - waking up application which starts winamp at the given time
    - chat for me and my friend, back in the days when we only had LAN and no Internet
  • Mar 29, 2006, 09:02 AM
    ScottGem
    A Computer application is the use of programming tools to allow a task to be performed on a computer. Almost any piece of software can be considered an application.
  • Mar 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
    jduke44
    Thanks, Scott and Crocivic. I kind of knew that about the applications, I was just trying to get an idea as to the power of using C++ builder and the practical uses for it. This gives me some ideas to go on. Thanks again.
  • Mar 30, 2006, 04:17 AM
    LTheobald
    C isn't so powerful. Step up to C++ and you can do a lot. For example, a lot of computer games are written in C++.
  • Mar 30, 2006, 01:52 PM
    jduke44
    Unfortunately, time restricts me right now but it shouldn't be to hard to learn C++ right?
  • Mar 10, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Brett in Boston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jduke44
    I was approached by my brother the other day asking if I can make applications bc I have general programming knowledge. The most I know is C. I didn't get all the info yet but I figured I would ask this question first. What programming language are most applications made from? I know this may be too general of a question but I was just curious. You can give the short versions of your answer as to not waste much time with it...yet. :D
    Thanks guys.

If you know C, you will be able to develop applications in C++ relatively quickly. The caveat to that is that initially, your coding style (which is typically procedural in nature for C developers) will not open up the full power of the C++ language. Over time however, as you learn about and embrace object-oriented programming principles, you will become a stronger C++ developer.

My recommendation, assuming you are working on and developing for a Windows-based computer, would be to download and install Microsoft's Visual C++ Express Edition development product. It is free, yet has most of the basic capabilities of their more fully featured Visual Studio 2005 family of development tools. Hopefully, it will provide both a good starting point for learning more about developing applications for the Windows platform using C++, but also that experience will expand your capabilities as a developer in general, irrespective of the target platform you develop for in the future.

The link to the site at which you can obtain the Visual C++ Express Edition product is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

I hope this helps you in your efforts, and best wishes in your future coding endeavors.

Sincerely,
    Brett
  • Mar 13, 2007, 03:24 PM
    jduke44
    Even though this was a post I made a year ago it does help. I haven't had time to work on this but this would be good for the future . Thanks
  • Mar 13, 2007, 05:03 PM
    asterisk_man
    Wow, and I was just about to suggest that we drop this topic since it's so old! Way to go jduke for sticking around! :)