Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Construction (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Should I frame a wall on outside of garage door, leaving garage door in place? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=638121)

• Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
    scodd
    Should I frame a wall on outside of garage door, leaving garage door in place?
    I would like to convert the garage into a workroom by putting up a frame on the outside of the garage door, insulating it and leaving the garage door in place so that if I need to sell the house I can convert the room back into a garage.

What problems could arise and are there any recommendations.

Thanks
    Greg
  • Feb 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
    ballengerb1
    I think building a new wall inside is a better idea. You won't have to worry about painting it to make it look better and be water tight. Also in most places covering a gargae to a workroom with no garage door may require a permit and inspections.
  • Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
    scodd
    I was just hoping to not have to remove and store or dispose of the garage door. I wonder if I put up the wall and add a door that could be used as a second exit, if that would be OK or if that is even an issue? The door would still be in place and could be opened and the new single door could be used then.

We have a home owners association and they keep an eye on fences and extra cars, but I think if I was careful I could get it done without them knowing, but then there is the city of course. But since I am not adding a room and only putting in a sub frame, or whatever you call it, to help insulate and existing room, would that require inspection?
  • Feb 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
    ballengerb1
    HOAs have tons of rules. You might want to reread their covenants to see what building restrictions they may have. My POA would not allow this.
  • Feb 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
    creahands
    If u want to do this and u don't what anyone to know, u will have to do it on the inside. The minute u cover the doors someone will let the association know. U will also be changing the outside appearance.

I do not recommend doing this without approval. Could make some strong enemies.

Chuck
  • Mar 3, 2012, 07:00 AM
    JackOfFewTrades
    Deffinately build your wall inside! Do you not have an existing man doorto the outside? You do not need two, if anything a window that has about three square feet of un obstructed opening is sufficient for a fire exit. Make sure to wrap super 6 (6mm) poly so that if any water does penetrate the threshold of your garage door you wall is protected agaunts water damage, it is also a good idea always to have something between wood and concrete, i.e. Tar paper, foam gaskets, or any type of eterior shelter wrap. I would Caulk the underside of the wall as well so no water gets into the room, as well open the garage door to caulk the reverse side of the wall.