Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Working Abroad (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358)
-   -   Cosmetology Liscensing in Canada [spec.: Ontario] (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=275069)

• Oct 29, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Stephieee
    Cosmetology Liscensing in Canada [spec.: Ontario]
    Hi-

I am apprenticing in a salon for my cosmetology license here in the states (Maryland). I should have it within the next year. I am considering moving to Toronto soon after, and I can't seem to find any concrete licensing requirements, other than the Cosmetology Industry Asociation of Ontario-but it appears as if it is a voluntary association... anyone know what sort of industry requirements they may have (if any)? Is there an exam? If so, are there a minemum amount of hours needed to be logged before I can take the exam?

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Oct 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
    tickle

I am assuming you will want to move to Toronto, Ontario. Here is the licensing information I found on Google after entering 'Cosmetology Licensing in Canada'. It appears that Ontario has the most licensing for esthetics, probably because Toronto is the biggest centre.

Nail Technician: No licensing
    Hair Cutting: Hair stylists/cosmetologists ARE licensed in Ontario. 1500 hours at an accredited school or community college, (practical and theory curriculum) followed by a 2000 hour apprenticeship in a salon, then the provincial licensing exam. All are required to become a hair stylist.
    Esthetics: No licensing

Ministry of Education and Training/Apprenticeship Srvcs.
    1-625 Church St
    Toronto, ON M7A 2B5
    (416) 326-5800 · Fax: (416) 326-5799

So, if cosmetology is under esthetics, then I guess you don't need a license.
  • Nov 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
    HANNAH1980
    Hi, i name is barb hannah i got my diploma in cosmetology, how can i get my liscensing in cosmetology and i live in alberta canada but take the course at granton institute of technology in ont canada
  • May 26, 2011, 08:55 PM
    katrinmae
    Hello?
    I want working in beautician in to canada...
    I have a diploma in cosmetology...
    I ask if ? How to apply. *** I need working..
  • Oct 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
    simamonsef
    Hi I would like to know how can I get licenes in canada(cosmetology)?
  • May 17, 2012, 05:53 AM
    Reneja
    I come from Africa and now living in Toronto. I have more than 10 years experience in the hairdresser industry. I would like to continue my career here in Toronto and have already book the hairstylist exam that I will write in the next 60 days, but I am a bit scared. My friends advised me that the exam is very tough no matter how much experience I have. Does anyone have some questions that were asked in the exam or anyone knows how I can get some? Please email me at [email protected] if possible.
    Thank you all very much.