Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Corporate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Is a quote a legal binding contract in Ontario (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=384650)

• Aug 8, 2009, 05:07 AM
    batoutohell
    Is a quote a legal binding contract in Ontario
    Good Morning

I just want to know is a written quote a binding contract to the company that supplies it?
  • Aug 8, 2009, 05:42 AM
    stevetcg

Did you also sign the statement of work? Was it a quote or an estimate?
  • Aug 8, 2009, 07:33 AM
    batoutohell
    It is just a written quote for a possible job. It is noted on the quote that it is only good for 30 days
  • Aug 8, 2009, 07:46 AM
    stevetcg

Its not binding until it is signed as a statement of work. However, if they gave you a quote, they will most likely honor it.

What is the full situation?
  • Aug 8, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Fr_Chuck

It is not a contract, but they may be held to that price for 30 days unless they wirthdraw the offer first
  • Aug 9, 2009, 07:06 AM
    batoutohell

Thanks for all your answers, I always get great information here. I work for a plumbing wholeseller as inside sales and have been given two outside reps. To work with on their customers. One will call or e-mail for pricing, but the other always wants a written quote. It is a lot of work to put them together, plus the company polacy is to follow up on all written quotes. Outside rep #two doesn't want me contacting his customers, But I have paperwork that I have to fill out and hand in. He seems to think that quotes are just like a price check. My boss is starting to wonder if he is really submiting them to his customers or if he thinks it makes him look busy. I have tried to tell him that the company is folow up and want to see results from all this paperwork. He thinks I'm just giving him a hard time, but that is not the case. I'm starting to get worryed for his job, management is behind me 100%. The rate of jobs to quotes is very low and anytime I ask him about the quotes he tries to change the subject. What do you think.

Thanks
    batoutohell
  • Aug 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
    illans
    I'm traying to make a quote of what to say to a contractor. To get the contractor to hire me as a subcontractor
  • Aug 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
    illans
    What to say to a contractor?
  • Aug 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by illans View Post
    what to say to a contractor?

You say whatever it might be which will want them to give you the subcontract. You might want to follow up with a written quote (a/k/a proposal, bid, offer, etc.). Formation of a contract requires an offer and acceptance. If their acceptance agrees to the terms of your offer, that constitutes the written contract, unless the terms are incorporated into a more formal written "contract".

Your offer should specify what you propose to do or supply, price, completion date, delivery terms, etc. It might also specify how long it is good for, and how the contractor can accept it (by returning a signed copy of it, or whatever).
  • Nov 2, 2013, 07:14 AM
    mishapcarroll
    How much should it cost to install a vent for a gas stove? Received quote for 2100.00 for installing two sink plugs and changing service form 100 fuse box to 100 amp breaker panel. The gas stove vent was (extra) work.