Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Presidential Terms (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=169638)

• Jan 6, 2008, 08:57 PM
    sGt HarDKorE
    Presidential Terms
    My AP history teacher said that a person can be a president for 1-2 terms, then someone else is president for 1-2 terms and then the first person can run again for another 1-2 terms, is that true? I thought you could only run twice and that's it. If that confused you, basically I was saying that the first person can be president for longer than 8 years as long as someone else is president between his terms
  • Jan 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
    twinkiedooter
    Yes that is true. You can be president for 1 or 2 terms, let someone else be President for 1 or 2 terms and then you can be president all over again for 1 or 2 terms. Isn't America wonderful?
  • Jan 6, 2008, 09:16 PM
    oneguyinohio
    Found on Wikipedia...

The Twenty-second Amendment of the United States Constitution sets a term limit for the President of the United States, providing that "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once." Prior to the adoption of the amendment, the Constitution set no limit on the number of presidential terms. The United States Congress passed the amendment on March 21, 1947.[1] It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 27, 1951.

Franklin Roosevelt, who served from 1933 to 1945, is the only president to have been elected to more than two terms.[2]

Bill Clinton stated his opposition to repealing the amendment, but supported modifying it to prohibit former presidents from serving more than two consecutive terms, but permitting them to seek election after an intervening term.[6]

Some have questioned the interpretation of the Twenty-second Amendment as it relates to the Twelfth Amendment, ratified in 1804, which provides that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."[8]

While it is clear that under the Twelfth Amendment the original constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship, and residency apply to both the president and vice president, it is unclear if a two-term president could later be elected—or appointed—vice president. Some argue that the Twenty-second Amendment and Twelfth Amendment bar any two-term president from later serving as vice president as well as from succeeding to the presidency from any point in the United States Presidential line of succession. Others contend that while a two-term president is ineligible to be elected or appointed to the office of Vice President, he or she could succeed from a lower position in the line of succession which he or she is not excluded from holding. Others contend that the Twelfth Amendment concerns qualification for service, while the Twenty-second Amendment concerns qualifications for election. Neither theory has ever been tested, as no former president has ever sought the vice presidency, and thus, the courts have never had an opportunity to decide the question.
  • Jan 7, 2008, 09:25 AM
    twinkiedooter
    Over in Russia President Putin will be ending his 2nd term shortly. He is eligible to run again as President once his predecessor serves his term of 4 years. Mr. Putin will probably run again and be elected President of Russia as per their laws.

Over here we don't have anyone that young willing to wait the 4 years before they can run again as Oneguyfromohio has pointed out.