Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Corporate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Is this considered slander by my former employer? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=759914)

• Jul 25, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Misskriss
    Is this considered slander by my former employer?
    I was previously employed in sales. After taking a personal leave I was told they no longer needed me and was let go. I have been trying to get back in the same business selling the same thing as I was. When speaking with a potential customer I was told that my previous employer told them that "I was let go because I was an alcoholic and that is why their business was doing badly" he has said he will write a statement and come to court of need be because he knows this is not true. I have lost business contacts because of them saying this. The personal leave I took was due to a death close to me that I was having a hard time dealing with. This start that my former employer keeps throwing out to anyone who inquires about products is hurting my current job search. I cannot seem to get anyone to want to buy products from me in this business. I am at my wits end as to what to do.
  • Jul 25, 2013, 07:18 PM
    ballengerb1
    Contact a lawyer and discuss a possible action to recover your damages. Slander is tough to prove even with your person willing to make a statement in court.
  • Jul 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
    N0help4u
    What do you hope to gain in court? If you want monetary judgment you will have to prove what their slander cost you as far as things like losing customers.
  • Jul 25, 2013, 07:33 PM
    Misskriss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    What do you hope to gain in court? If you want monetary judgment you will have to prove what their slander cost you as far as things like losing customers.

I would like to be able to work in the same line of business I was previously in without being told" we'll so and so said you were an alcoholic so we don't think we can work with you " it has been 2 months now and no one wants to work with me. As for monetary gain I couldn't care less. I just want them to stop telling people untrue things about me so I can do what I love. This type of business has been my livelihood for 15 years and I have never had a problem until they started telling people these things
  • Jul 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
    N0help4u
    Then you need to get as many potential customers to as you can to write out a complaint on how you are losing business because of them
  • Jul 26, 2013, 03:11 AM
    ScottGem
    If you can prove the statement and prove it has affected your employability, you have a good case.

Definitely speak to an attorney about it. But here's the problem, a case like this can last for years. So there may not be immediate help. Hopefully, an attorney can write some letters, put a scare into the employer and get him to retract his statement. That would be your best course rather than pursuing a suit.