Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Multimedia (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Multimedia Audio Contoller Not working after reformat (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=374310)

• Jul 11, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Rstone
    Multimedia Audio Contoller Not working after reformat
    Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Not hyper-threaded Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0N6381
    Serial Number:.. CN481114B2071X.
    Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 08/24/2004 Drives Memory Modules c,d 76.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    73.14 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD Multimedia Audio Controller
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

I can't find the proper driver for the audio.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • Jul 11, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Perito

Did this computer come from Dell? Dell maintains drivers for all of its computers on their web site.

Dell Support Home Page

Is the sound adapter on the motherboard or did you purchase something separately from the computer? Is it included in the USB2 controller?

Also, what operating system are you using? XP? Vista? Something else?

Just for kicks, try this audio driver. I found another thread that claimed that this was the driver (not sure of the operating system, unfortunately).

Possible Driver for 24DD Multimedia Audio Controller
  • Jul 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Rstone
    Dell -- I have the CD's but there is no driver for the audio.
    Sound is on the motherboard and no I did not purchase anything separately. I do not know if it is included in the USB 2 controller.
    Windows XP SP 2
    I tried the Soundmax driver at the link you gave and it still did not work.
    But thank you for your efforts.
  • Jul 11, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Perito

Have you looked at the Dell site?

It appears that the USB2 controller and the sound card are on the same chip. It's possible, but I think unlikely, that the driver would be the same.

If you have the CDs, I am flabbergasted that the driver isn't on that. Have you explored the CD and installed everything that is on that?
  • Jul 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Rstone

Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

That is what everest states that I need -- I have tried 3 times to install it and every time I do I get the memory dump screen... I've reformated numerous times and never had any problems until now.

Thanks
  • Jul 11, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Perito

Have you tried googling that and installing a driver (hopefully different from the one you have) that you find as a result of that Google?

Let me google that for you
  • Jul 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Rstone

I have went to over 20 sites and all of them are the same driver.
  • Jul 11, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Rstone

PLEASE DO NOT spend anymore time on this problem. ---- I fixed it --- DELL states to download the SOUNDMAX sound driver...

Thank you

Rstone