Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Home & Garden (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Problems with Craftsman Lawn Mower (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=382109)

• Jul 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
    dkasmer
    Problems with Craftsman Lawn Mower
    I have a briggs and stratton engine push lawn mower by Craftsman at 4.75 horespower 22" side discharge. Its emitting white smoke when I start it. I have the wrong kind of oil in it (10w-40) and oil has been leaking into the air filter. I took the air filter out and cleaned it in water like the owner manual says and sprayed down the lawnmower. I'm unable to drain the oil because the mower is full of gas. Will buying a new air filter alleviate my problems?
  • Jul 31, 2009, 09:01 PM
    crigby

Hi,
    Bad as it sounds, check your oil to make sure it is full and run the gas out of it. Change oil to 30W SJ or better. You can do that by taking out dipstick and tipping mower to that side with something to catch the oil in. Engine hold 20oz. But it will only take about 16 to refill; not all comes out.
    Peace,
    Clarke
  • Jul 31, 2009, 09:08 PM
    dkasmer
    I think the problem may be that I have too much oil in it. To get the gas out of it I have to run it until it runs out so, is it okay to run it with the smoke coming out?
  • Aug 1, 2009, 06:03 AM
    crigby

Hi,
    Sounds that way (too much oil) to me, also. The EPA would not like it; got a container to tip it and empty fuel tank instead? That would be the safest solution; way too much oil can actually cause a lubrication problem. Best would be to change oil and follow the 16 oz. approxiamation "rule" when refilling with 30W.
    Peae,
    Clarke
  • Aug 1, 2009, 05:52 PM
    dkasmer
    I boughty a siphon from Sears to get the gas out then I'm going to drain the oil. What is the 16 oz. approximation rule?
    dkasmer
    I boughty a siphon from Sears to get the gas out then I'm going to drain the oil. What is the 16 oz. approximation rule?
    dkasmer
    dkasmer
    dkasmer
    dkasmer
  • Aug 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
    crigby

Hi,
    The engine's capacity is 20 oz. Whether you drain it from a plug in the sump or the dipstick tube, there will be approxiamately 4 oz. remaining in the engine. That means it takes about 16 oz. to fill.
    Peace,
    Clarke