Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Addictions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415)
-   -   Hair drug test - infrequent user - please help (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=685131)

• Jul 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
    helpmeh12
    Hair drug test - infrequent user - please help
    Ok. I'm a very infrequent smoker. The last time I smoked was June 16th (4 hits off a blunt). The previous smoke before that was late Jan-early Feb. Now I have a hair test and urine test coming up soon. What are my chances of passing my hair test. I know I will pass my UA. I keep my hair very short. Always. Is this a bad idea? Please help.
  • Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
    DrBill100
    The use you describe, light and infrequent, is seldom detected in a hair drug test (HDT). The reason is that the metabolites tested for (THC, THCA) are not readily incorporated into hair. In order for these metabolites to rise above the level of detection requires regular exposure.

Ref.

Musshoff F, Madea B. Review of biologic matrices (urine, blood, hair) as indicators of recent or ongoing cannabis use. There Drug Monit. Apr 2006;28(2):155-63 in Cannabis Compound Abuse Workup.

Galanter & Kleber, 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC, p. 58

Huestis, 2007 Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics
  • Jul 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
    helpmeh12
    Thank you Dr. Bill! I've seen a lot of your posts on here and a lot of people love the advice you give them. I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Another question. What about armpit hair. Should I be OK or am I at a greater risk for detection?
  • Jul 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
    DrBill100
    Armpit (axillary) hair has different absorption characteristics from head hair. While axillary is generally darker and coarser (a better target) THC-COOH is actually found in lesser quantity than in scalp hair. Therefore if the metabolite has not made it into head hair it is even less likely to be present in axillary.

Also the underarm is far less likely to be exposed to contamination by cannabis smoke which is a major problem for head hair.

Was that the sample site?
  • Jul 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
    helpmeh12
    Excellent then! I should be good to go then. Thank you again.

I do not know where I will be taking the test. Somewhere in Cleveland Ohio. I'm guessing.
  • Sep 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
    riteofmars555
    I'm sure your tired of answering this question but I'm in the same boat as him, last time was middle June around June 15th, before that, at least 6-7 months prior, most recent was literally one hit, before that, a few hits over the coarse o
  • Sep 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
    riteofmars555
    Oh, its for a job, they told me my hair needs to be at least one inch for testing,
  • Sep 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
    riteofmars555
    And basically what I have gathered is hair testing is mainly effective for regular users
  • Sep 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
    DrBill100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by riteofmars555 View Post
    im sure your tired of answering this question but im in the same boat as him, last time was middle june around june 15th, before that, at least 6-7 months prior, most recent was literally one hit, before that, a few hits over the coarse o

HDT doesn't detect light and infrequent use. The answer to your question is the same as above and the same references apply.
  • Sep 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
    helpmeh12
    You, like me, should be fine.
  • Sep 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
    riteofmars555
    Hey as long as the same goes for arm and leg hair I should be good to go then from the sounds of it. Funny how a stupid mistake can cause you so much stress.
  • Oct 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
    drosedetroit
    One shotgun first time ever ?
  • Oct 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
    riteofmars555
    Well I took my hair test yesterday. I didn't have enough hair on my head so they took some from my armpits, and some from my legs. They told me they only go back 90 days. Its been longer than 90 days so we will see how this works out.
  • Oct 9, 2012, 01:23 PM
    riteofmars555
    I hear a lot of back and forths with body hair, for example omega (the test site) claims to have a 1 year time frame on body hair, even though in the past year my use has been close to null (1-3 times very very light use) it still is bothersome.. however I will keep posted to help others.
  • Oct 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
    riteofmars555
    Well I passed the test. 1-4 times in the past year very light cannabis use. Over the 90 day mark, extracted armpit and body hair through omega. Thank you dr bill for your expertise and insight. Lesson much learned, don't sleep with dogs or you'll get fleas. Lol