Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=124874)

• Sep 1, 2007, 12:41 PM
    xEoMxMoAxx
    Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit?
    I just got a new pair of jazz shoes the other day for dance. My old jazz shoes were much cheaper (from payless) and fit on my feet just right. Now I just got capezio jazz shoes that are much nicer and have nicer leather and such. But they are tight is this normal? How should jazz shoes fit on your feet? Thanks
  • Sep 1, 2007, 12:56 PM
    tickle
    They shouldn't be tight if you got your correct size.
  • Sep 2, 2007, 06:00 PM
    xEoMxMoAxx
    Even if they r new and the leather is a little tight around your feet? Will it break in?
  • Sep 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
    nzer
    Mine were tight because I have fairly wide feet, so I got them professionally stretched, big help, give it a try. All the best :O)
  • Sep 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Emland
    I've always heard never to compete with new jig shoes (Irish here rather than tap). They aren't broken in. That suggests to me that they will stretch. I buy my shoes off the consignment shelf at our studio because I want shoes that feel right the first time.

If they don't seem to break in after a few weeks, a cobbler can stretch them for you.
  • Sep 21, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Ygramul
    Capezio shoes always need breaking in. There's a quick way to do this:
    Run them under lukewarm water very briefly so the leather gets almost soggy.
    Bang them really hard against a wall or the edge of the sink.
    Put them on immediately before they get a chance to dry.
    Dance around and have fun for about a half hour, or until the shoes are perfectly dry.
    Spanking new dance shoes should always be a bit tight at first. The tightness you feel (if you're wearing the correct size) comes from the strength of the material. Once broken in and weathered, they should relax and comform perfectly to your feet. Just like Birkenstocks. They form from use, not fit. If you've ever done ballet en pointe, it's the same concept.
    Capezio makes shoes in sizes, then the dancer determines the fit. This is why the very best dancers have the worst-looking shoes.
    It may be that you're in the wrong size. If that's true, try the Bloch's brand. Their sizing tends to be more precise. It's more expensive, though. But I once bought both tap and point shoes in Bloch's, and they lasted for about 8 years.
  • Jan 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
    doglover92
    Listen to me I have done jazz dance for five years and they should be tight, tighter then ballet shoes. I had gone to dance Unlimited to get mine and they fit perfect.
  • Feb 19, 2008, 02:32 PM
    DeniseAL
    I am a professional dance shoe fitter and if your jazz shoes are this year's version, they were redesigned to be tight around the arches, so that when you point you don't have a lot of leather bunched up around your arch. If your toes are flat in the shoes (that is, not curled at the ends) then the length is fine. If the tightness is around the arches, they do stretch but it takes awhile to break them in. if you are in a hurry to break them in, there is a product by Kiwi called "Shoe Stretch" that you can spray on the shoes where they are tight and it will stretch them out quicker.
  • Mar 4, 2013, 07:42 PM
    kwillisk
    I just got dance shoes and they are a little tight. Should they break in or should I get a bigger size