Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Well it's Official: God did not create Universe (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=504333)

• Sep 3, 2010, 12:19 AM
    Curlyben
    Well it's Official: God did not create Universe
    Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Stephen Hawking The Universe can create itself from nothing, says Prof Hawking

There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

He had previously argued belief in a creator was not incompatible with science but in a new book, he concludes the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.

The Grand Design, part serialised in the Times, says there is no need to invoke God to set the Universe going.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something," he concluded.

BBC News - Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe
    Video piece: BBC News - Professor Stephen Hawking says no God created Universe
  • Sep 3, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Wondergirl

[Hawking] adds: "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."

Where did gravity come from?
  • Sep 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
    Curlyben
    Now where did I put my barge pole ;)
  • Sep 3, 2010, 12:27 AM
    Wondergirl

The ALS is infiltrating his brain.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 02:52 AM
    albear

Wow, stephen hawking said that, he's the last person id expect to say such a thing, right after the pope :eek:
  • Sep 3, 2010, 03:35 AM
    tomder55

The scientist approached God and said, "Listen, we've decided we no longer need you. Nowadays, we can extract stem cells, clone people, transplant hearts, and all kinds of things that were once considered miraculous."

God patiently heard him out, and then said, "All right. To see whether or not you still need me, why don't we have a little man-making contest!"

"Okay, great!" the scientist said.

"Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam," God said.

"That's fine," replied the scientist and he bent down to scoop up a handful of dirt.

"Whoa!" God said, shaking his head in disapproval. "Not so fast, pal. You get your own dirt."
  • Sep 3, 2010, 04:59 AM
    speechlesstx

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something"

Now that's deep.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 05:00 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The scientist approached God and said, "Listen, we've decided we no longer need you. Nowadays, we can extract stem cells, clone people, transplant hearts, and all kinds of things that were once considered miraculous."

God patiently heard him out, and then said, "All right. To see whether or not you still need me, why don't we have a little man-making contest!"

"Okay, great!" the scientist said.

"Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam," God said.

"That's fine," replied the scientist and he bent down to scoop up a handful of dirt.

"Whoa!" God said, shaking his head in disapproval. "Not so fast, pal. You get your own dirt."

I love that joke. I have a friend who tells it to someone every week I think.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 05:00 AM
    tomder55

New Bumper Sticker :

Big Bangs Happen
  • Sep 3, 2010, 05:24 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

New Bumper Sticker :

Big Bangs Happen

"And if we don't yet know the cause we'll invent an invisible man in the sky and attribute it to him."
  • Sep 3, 2010, 05:37 AM
    tomder55

I love science .The more we learn,the more they confirm God's existence.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 05:39 AM
    NeedKarma
    Not really. :)
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:09 AM
    speechlesstx

Really, NK? Seriously now, "spontaneous creation is the reason there is something" is how we all got here? Who did the spontaneous creating?
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:11 AM
    tomder55

Genesis has been dutifully revised :

1:1 In the beginning there was nothing ,the universe was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

1:2 And then it exploded.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:12 AM
    paraclete
    God = gravity? What a pecular idea, but then I expect if I was confined to a wheel chair and couldn't speak I'd have pecular ideas too
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:14 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Really, NK? Seriously now, "spontaneous creation is the reason there is something" is how we all got here? Who did the spontaneous creating?

It's a matter of faith. Our faith says something created something . Hawking's faith says that nothing created something.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:17 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    God = gravity? What a pecular idea, but then I expect if I was confined to a wheel chair and couldn't speak I'd have pecular ideas too

Duplication is the standard of science . Therefore it should be no problem for Hawking to demonstrate spontaneous creation.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:19 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

It's a matter of faith. Our faith says something created something . Hawking's faith says that nothing created something.

I knew it was matter of faith, I was just struggling with how to put it this early in the morning. That was perfect.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:21 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Duplication is the standard of science . Therefore it should be no problem for Hawking to demonstrate spontaneous creation.

Maybe that Large Hadron Collider scientists created is already duplicating it.
  • Sep 3, 2010, 06:35 AM
    paraclete
    Quote:

So what you are saying is one vacuum begets another?