Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Workplace Relationships (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=359)
-   -   How to handle difficult boss (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=739753)

• Mar 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
    hithere12345
    How to handle difficult boss
    I work for a very small satellite office of a larger company. The work is great, the other employees are great. The boss is horrible. I have only worked there for 9 months and when I got the job the Director of Nursing (Im an RN) asked me how I am handling the boss (we will call Cybil). At that time I did not know what she meant and the director stated that Cybil can be very difficult to work under. I then spoke with the person whose place I took (she went to a different department) and stated that Cybil is awful to work for.

Since I have been there three therapists quit on the same day because 2 could not stand working for Cybil and one because of work related stress. In fact the one who left because of work related stress had to be 911'd out of the office for what was assumed to be heart issues and turned out to be work related stress. One of the therapists who quit is a manager of another program and she is currently in discussion with HR as well with how awful Cybil is.

I took three days off because I had so much stress I wound up in the ER on Friday. Before going in on Friday I told the HR rep how stressful it was and that I was sick from it. She told me that when I go back on Wednesday that we are going to meet. I am TERRIFIED that my boss is going to find out and make life miserable for me. I am at home actively trying to find another job.

My question is -- what is the best way to handle myself during this meeting on Wednesday so that I present a professional face and yet communicate the difficulties I am facing?
    Thanks for any input
  • Mar 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Wondergirl
    What difficulties is Cybil creating?
  • Mar 18, 2013, 10:56 AM
    hithere12345
    Thanks for responding. Cybli treats people differently - her favorites she allows to get away with anything those that she does not like she will bring them into her office for up to 40 minutes for the slightest slightest thing and interrogate them for up to 40 minutes asking them the same question over and over again. This is a woman who can have a 40 minute interrogation session about toilet paper. I am not exaggerating.

What is black one day is white the other. She is very inconsistent in her approach. If something is the correct way to do something on one day it is incorrect on the next. Whenever she interrogates you for a problem that she has with something that she did, she NEVER meets you on her own. Instead she brings in up to 4 people to listen to her question you as she emotionally places people into a corner as she asks the same questions for up to 40 minutes until you become upset. She expects you to work overtime, to not get paid. She says that she will give you comp time but that never comes to fruition.

Thanks for responding
  • Mar 18, 2013, 11:02 AM
    odinn7
    I can't help you with what to say... though I think what you wrote here isn't too bad. What I can suggest is that you don't present yourself as if you are complaining about her or telling on her. Make sure you word things in such a way as to seem like these are legitimate complaints that are affecting the productivity of the department and the business overall. Not like it is just you and a few others who are upset. Don't seem like you are placing blame or pointing fingers.
  • Mar 18, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Wondergirl
    I'll bet she likes to see grown employees cry, too (I had a boss like that for six years.)

Are you the only person meeting with the HR rep? She should meet with more underlings than you at this meeting. Otherwise, it's a he said-she said thing.