Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Home & Garden (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Bad smell in bathroom (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=69846)

• Mar 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
    spuetz
    Bad smell in bathroom
    Our house was build in the 1910's and our bathroom is located between the two bedrooms and shares the wall to the outside. Over the weekend we started to smell a foul broclii like smell coming from the bathroom. So we took a piece of the wall apart which is were we thought it was coming from and there wasn't anything there, then we took the toilet apart and still nothing. We haven't tried our atic but we know that it isn't coming from the crawler because we checked it out.The smell is only in the bathroom and no were else in the house. We do have natural gas in our house but that also isn't were it is coming from. Please help us we don't know what to do?? :confused:
  • Mar 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
    DAVE231
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spuetz
    Our house was build in the 1910's and our bathroom is located between the two bedrooms and shares the wall to the outside. Over the weekend we started to smell a foul broclii like smell coming from the bathroom. So we took a piece of the wall apart which is were we thought it was coming from and there wasn't anything there, then we took the toliet apart and still nothing. We haven't tried our atic but we know that it isn't coming from the crawler because we checked it out.The smell is only in the bathroom and no were else in the house. We do have natural gas in our house but that also isn't were it is coming from. Please help us we don't know what to do???:confused:

Just a guess, but it may be sewer gasses backing up into the house. Is all your plumbing properly vented? Are all your traps full of water? Did you install a new wax ring on the toilet bowl? Could be a blockage or the fact that a drain may just smell bad. Try some mild bleach solution to kill any odor causing bacteria.Pour it down all drains in the room and let it sit. A 100 year old house may need to be refitted with the latest plumbing materials and techniques. PS--- I like broccoli!
  • Mar 13, 2007, 04:07 PM
    kepi
    I agree. It could be the sewer gases. If your house is that old, then changing the plumbing is a good idea anyway.
    Also, you could try one of those plug-in room aromathisers, like Glade Plug-Ins, or whatever. They now sell ones that have intricate designs to match your decorations. :D
  • Mar 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
    grammadidi
    It's not coming from the toilet tank is it?
  • Mar 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
    labman
    Scroll down to the bottom of your question and look at the similar questions. Check some of the ones in the plumbing forum.

Note, sewer gas is toxic, a horrible way to go. Don't try to cover it up with air fresheners.

It may take more than mild bleach.