Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Movies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=410)
-   -   Best actor/actress (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=119826)

• Aug 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
    spacefire5458
    Best actor/actress
    Who is your opinion is the best actor/actress.:)
  • Aug 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
    mountain_man
    Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson
  • Aug 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Emland
    That's a tough one - I love some people in certain films and hate them in others.

I love the old school actors. If I had to pick just one it would be

Actor: John Wayne

Actress: Katherine Hepburn
  • Aug 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
    alkalineangel
    I love Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks... both are so good at playing so many different roles.
  • Aug 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
    mountain_man
    OK no Jack didn't have surgery, I just couldn't decide... an actress probably Whoopi Golberg... no Diane Lane
  • Aug 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
    alkalineangel
    Ooh and I almost forgot Michelle Pfeiffer... I love her, she is timeless...
  • Aug 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
    missa8324
    I have 2 since I can't think of which one I favor more!

Favorite Actors: Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks
    Favorite Actresses: Meg Ryan and Michelle Pfeiffer
  • Aug 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
    xx pretty girl xx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spacefire5458
    Who is your opinion is the best actor/actress.:)

In my opinion
    Reese Witherspoon & Leonardo DiCaprio
  • Aug 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
    GoldieMae
    I'm partial to Jack Nicholson and Kate Hepburn as actors go.
  • Aug 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
    alkalineangel
    Quote:

GoldieMae agrees: I love her, too. I want to see this new movie Stardust just to see her.
    Great movie, if you like the adult fantasy type stuff... I saw it on Tuesday for our anniversary. Wonderful. We are big Princess Bride fans, and one critic compared it to PB, so we jumped on it. It isn't quite up there with PB, but still VERY entertaining. Kept my hubby laughing, and just enough romance for me. Michelle Pfeiffer is awesome in it!
  • Aug 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
    dias06
    Can't believe you have seen stardust, comes out in South Africa in a month >>> we are way behind! Don't understand the "michelle pfeiffer" thing though? Why is she a fav?

Actor: Johnny Depp (and not because of Pirates, earlier darker weird stuff, and finding neverland), Tom Hanks (but not in da vinci code)
    Actress: Whoopi Goldberg (old sister act fan >>> the original "save the kids" type of movie), Drew Barrymore (riding in cars with boys) I don't know if I have an absolute favourite, I prefer actors!
  • Aug 17, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Emland
    My runner up would have to be Christopher Walken. I see he is in a really stupid looking movie called "Balls of Fury" that isn't my kind of movie, but since he is in it, will probably blow the cash and have a look.
  • Aug 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
    alkalineangel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dias06
    cant believe you have seen stardust, comes out in South Africa in a month >>> we are way behind! dnt understand the "michelle pfeiffer" thing though? why is she a fav?

Actor: Johnny Depp (and not because of Pirates, earlier darker weird stuff, and finding neverland), Tom Hanks (but not in da vinci code)
    Actress: Whoopi Goldberg (old sister act fan >>> the original "save the kids" type of movie), Drew Barrymore (riding in cars with boys) i dont know if i have an absolute favourite, i prefer actors!

Yeah, it came out here last Friday. I chose Michelle pfeiffer because she is timeless, she is aging, and yet, she can still play whatever character and fit it perfectly. She is a great actress.

I am a huge Johnny fan too, for Chocolat, Benny and Joon, Edward Scissorhands, Fear and loathing, etc. I love all of his movies though, with the exception of charlie and the chocolate factory... while I agree that he is the only actor out there today who could have come close to the original Gene Wilder, he did not portray Willy Wonka quite the way I envisioned. Of course, IM spoiled by dear Gene... ;)
  • Aug 23, 2007, 06:59 AM
    taz1649
    My favourite actress is sandra bullock and I quite like eliza dushku as well, and I like vin diesel as a actor
  • Aug 23, 2007, 08:43 AM
    ScottGem
    The question was not who is a favorite, but who is best. Now best is a relative term, but if we are talking about pure acting ability, Katherine Hepburn is an hands down choice. Her body of work is absolutely amazing. Close behind her, but still behind would be Meryl Streep and Glenn Close.

For actor, though there are too many who's body of work are closely equal to each other. Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Al Pacino and Robert Deniro are all equals In my opinion. Depp, Hanks, (maybe) DeCaprio, have shown flashes of talent, but not quite up to the standards set by those others.
  • Aug 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
    JohnSnownw
    George Clooney - Body language and gestures. (e.x. Intolerable Cruelty & Oh Brother Where Art Thou?)

All of ScottGems mentions I agree with, though I would like to add Kate Blanchett, as she is fantastic as well.

Nope, suppose I cannot choose just one.
  • Aug 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Actor - Max von Sydow
    Actress - Ingrid Bergman
  • Aug 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
    nicespringgirl
    Sandra Bullock:) and Keanu Reeves:D
  • Aug 24, 2007, 08:04 AM
    ScottGem
    I have to say, I'm amused by some of the answers here. I'm not trying to take away from the talents of any of the actors mentioned. They have all provided us enjoyable entertainment. Many are performers I enjoy. But if you are talking about "best", that refers to acting talent and ability. And a lot of the people mentioned don't even come close. For example, one of my favorites is Errol Flynn. I greatly enjoy his movies, but is he a great actor? Not a chance. John Wayne is another like that.

So anyone else responding, remember the question was "best" actor, not most popular, not entertaining, but best in terms of acting ability.
  • Aug 29, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Jazzygeeto
    Actor: Christian Bale
    Actress: Christina Ricci