Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Member Discussions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=487)
-   -   These are amazing. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=217770)

• May 20, 2008, 12:55 AM
    firmbeliever
    These are amazing.
    7 (More!) Underground Wonders of the World: Lost Caverns and Buried Cities | WebUrbanist

7 Most Amazing Caves of our World
  • May 20, 2008, 01:29 AM
    starbuck8
    Those were beautiful to look at Firmy! Amazing things here on earth aren't there?!
  • May 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
    startover22
    THere were a couple of Discovery channel episodes of some of those caves! Yes they are for sure amazing. I this stuff... and Starby, it is amazing what our earth has to offer!
  • May 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
    firmbeliever
    Starby and Starty,I am so glad you liked them.

Here's some more.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/image...mheller_sm.jpg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?p...hoto_id=139763

These are glow worms in a cave!
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/gifs/thicke/glow.jpg
  • May 22, 2008, 02:57 PM
    morgaine300
    You mean ice caves aren't just something in Dungeon Siege?

I've been to many caves in the U.S. cause we traveled a lot when I was a kid and my dad liked caves. So I've seen some pretty cool stuff. I still love caves. But I think I probably gained an appreciation for this type of stuff from all that traveling, cause I've just seen so many different things that don't include the normal everyday hussle and bussle of metro life.

But I haven't seen any outside the U.S, or anything nearly as vast as some of this. It's funny, the one picture they said was right out of the Hobbit, right before I read that I was thinking it was a good place for a hobbit to live. :-)
  • May 23, 2008, 03:01 AM
    firmbeliever
    Hi morgaine,

If you have some pics of your own travels into caves or anything else interesting hussle bustle metro life or not, I would love to see them:)
  • May 24, 2008, 07:18 PM
    morgaine300
    Sorry, no pics of caves. That was all when I was a kid. It's possible my dad took pictures and they may even still be around somewhere, but I wouldn't know where.

I think the only place I went where I took my own pics was when I visited Germany & Austria, and alas, I realize now I should've taken about 100 times as many as I did! I really have very few (20?), it was an old camera, the prints are now very old, and I wasn't a great photographer. (Though I do like one I took of the Saltz River.) It never occurred to me to scan the ones I do have. Maybe I'll do that someday.

Oh, yes, I did a bit of traveling with a band as an adult. Went to Portland and Milwaukee and have just a few pics. Mostly of band people though. I do have a picture of the pub inside Pabst. Of course, those got packed away somewhere when I moved...

I'm not being too useful, am I?
  • May 25, 2008, 03:12 AM
    firmbeliever
    That's OK morgaine,
    I just love nature photographs, was thinking maybe if you had some you could share:) No pressure!

Sounds like you have been quite a traveller:)
  • May 25, 2008, 08:13 PM
    morgaine300
    I do love travelling, but haven't done much as an adult, simply cause I can't afford it. I guess I got it from my dad, which is where I got everything else from. (He was an engineer if that tells you anything. That's where I got my math, my analness, my geekiness... )

My dad worked for the government so he got lots of vacation time, and he would let it add up. We took two six-week vacations out west, once northways and once southways. I believe I've been to everything west of the Mississippi. There's like 8-9 states I haven't been to and they're all S, SE or NE. I've been to all the "traditional" places like Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Yellowstone, etc. Plus everything in between cause my dad drove all the way. (I also remember finding a gas station that was .24 per gallon. COUGH!) Somewhere I do have some pictures of some of this stuff. Most of it was slides, but my one brother actually has a scanner that does slides, and he once started going through everything he could find and scanned it. So it does exist some place. (No, I don't feel any pressure cause I have too many projects, but if I ever find and get around to putting any of that up online, I'll let you know.)

There's some really cool stuff out west. But my memory of it isn't all that great. But I have some memories. We wanted to go down into the Grand Canyon on donkeys, but my mom (as usual) didn't want to go. She said it was OK for the rest of us and she'd stay in the cabin. (And I'm sure she was serious. When she traveled, she did the same things she'd do at home, in a cabin. That was her way.) But my dad wouldn't leave her. Darn! :-) And the Painted Desert is really cool. I remember Hot Springs pretty well. I also know I toured a movie studio but have no memory of it. And I remember the zoo up in Vancouver. (I've been to all the border provinces of Canada.) And the helicopter ride at Mount Rushmore was totally awesome. We saw all kinds of Indian stuff, including the cliff dwellings. I remember a place where they built adobe abodes into the ground, but it's a vague memory. I just remember thinking it was really cool.

I've also been to the Ozark lakes several times. I love it there. (I have some of my own pics from there, but who knows where they are.) I used to love to take the boat out and go all over the place. Especially over to Four Seasons to stare at all the rich people's yachts. LOL. I tried skiing too, but that didn't go over very well. I absolutely love water though. I look at a picture of the ocean and am always just in total awe. That much water just totally blows me away. I also love boats.

Now, Austria & Germany was a high school trip. Not nearly long enough. Saltzburg is just gorgegous. (Or at least was.) Outside of Saltzburg is this place called St. Wolfgang, which had this, um, park? I'm not sure what it was. But there was this HUGE chess set there. Like on the ground with these big foot-tall pieces. I've got a pic of that with Debbie's butt in the way, but it shows the relative size. Ya know, I really should scan that stuff. :-)

OK, I'm just off blabbering now. It's all your fault, cause now this is bringing back some nice memories. Oh, jeez, something to add the project list. Just what I need. (Otherwise known as THE List.) But... I will take part blame since I've also had a wee bit much wine... so maybe I should go talk to curlyben's wife. :p (Seriously, I should go visit the wine forum. Never been there.)
  • May 25, 2008, 11:43 PM
    firmbeliever
    Morgaine,
    I am enjoying your posts:)
  • May 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
    startover22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Morgaine,
    I am enjoying your posts:)

I second that! ;)
  • Jun 1, 2008, 09:57 PM
    morgaine300
    Oh, well I'm glad people are enjoying my blabbering. :-) I'll have to drink some more wine.
  • Jun 2, 2008, 09:23 AM
    firmbeliever
    deputydog | 3 beautiful and bizarre natural phenomena
  • Jun 2, 2008, 09:29 AM
    bushg
    Firm, you have shown me things I would have never seen or looked for... wow, you make me want to travel and I am a homebody. Thank you
  • Jun 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
    firmbeliever
    I love sharing such things and am so glad you like them too bG.

I haven't traveled as much as I would have liked to,but this day and age I can view such beautiful images from anywhere, online.

Natural phenomena fascinates me:)
  • Jun 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
    firmbeliever
    Eight of the World's Most Unusual Plants (1-4)

Rare Flowers - Orchid, Tunicate and more - FunOnTheNet

• Jun 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
    bushg
    You did it again Firm. Your faith shows even in the pictures that you choose.
    Don't let naysayers get on your nerves, keep sharing.
  • Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
    firmbeliever
    Thank you G, for your wonderful words.

I found this link and couldn't resist sharing,there are so many beautiful pics..
    WHOI : Oceanus : Photo Gallery
  • Jun 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
    startover22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Thank you G, for your wonderful words.

I found this link and couldnt resist sharing,there are so many beautiful pics..
    WHOI : Oceanus : Photo Gallery

I just added that site to my faves too along with all the others. This kids and I really like the pictures Firmy! Thank you
  • Jun 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
    firmbeliever
    You're welcome Starty.. so happy the kids love it.:)

I loved this one too.
    Diptera Fossil Insect Gallery - Flies & Gnats