Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Tooth decay too early in life. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=319898)

• Feb 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
    Cauvesorris
    Tooth decay too early in life.
    Hello.
    I am a 24 year old female who requires about 10,000 dollars worth of dental work. I am currently uninsured and am not eligible for insurance until August of 2009. I was recently at a dentist when they quoted me on the 10,000 worth of work. I am in about 20,000 worth of debt as it is and I have a pretty low-paying job. My father recently died of alcoholism and my mom gets paid less than I do. I am an educated and hard working person who has suffered a series of unfortunate experiences.
    I don't know what to do, and I feel like my teeth are going to fall from my head. They're just plain rotting out. My main issue is money, and not going into more debt so that I can simply chew my food without worrying that my teeth will further crack off.
    I've been trying to research government grants for tooth care, but this is a relentless headache of a search.
    Is there anyone out there who knows of something I can do?
    My problem is not in maintenance because I take care of my teeth properly. I have bad teeth due to heredity and acidity in my saliva.
    I am currently in mild pain, it's tolerable but I don't know how much longer I can live this way.
    I am truly desperate.
    Thank you for your responses.
  • Feb 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

Where do you live? There may be a program for low income individuals. If not a charity.

Otherwise, if it were ME, I'd wait until August. But that's me, and probably not the wisest choice.
  • Feb 20, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Emland

Is there a dental college in your area? We have one that does work for low/no charge, but it takes a while to get in.
  • Apr 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
    folktail

You may have already found help for your problem but if not... I suggest you apply for medicare ([ go here to see if you are eligible Medicare.gov - Medicare Eligibility Tool (Eligibility Questions) )You would probably be eligible considering you are an independent with a low paying job. They actually cover a LOT. My boyfriend has medicare and his insurance plan is actually better than mine (aetna). Good luck.. I hope you can get the work done. Tooth pain is the worst.
  • Apr 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
    folktail
    Sorry medicaid* not medicare. Medicaid Are You Eligible? Medicaid Eligibility
  • Apr 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Amir1981

Speaking as a dentist, barring any legitimate genetic diseases that make your teeth less mineralized, or medications/diseases that cause a lack of saliva, there is no reason for your teeth to "rot out" if you take care of them. Brush 3 times a day with a high fluoride tooth paste (Prevident, from the pharmacy) floss, watch sugar intake (no candy, no sugar in tea/coffee, no pop, no refined carbohydrates, limit juice and rinse after), chew SUGARLESS gum after every meal, limit snacking. You must stop the disease process before getting the work done. Also, no smoking. I would suggest finding a dental school and getting the emergency stuff done (extractions and/or root canals) and getting the other stuff done after your insurance kicks in