Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Does crown lengthening on a back molar work ? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=807439)

• Jan 24, 2015, 09:14 PM
    personalcorr
    Does crown lengthening on a back molar work ?
    My lower L. molar at the back (#7) was badly damaged, had root canal treatment and filling and was then fitted with a crown in 2009. In 2012 this crown started to come off very often. My dentist said that my molar (height above gum line) was very short. Each time this crown came off it was recemented, but the last time on 24/12/2014 it disappeared while I was eating (I must have swallowed it by mistake). There is no LL tooth #8, and LL tooth #6 has a crown and has had no problem. Now, I am not using this molar (#7), and am using the teeth on the right side (LR tooth #6 missing) for eating.

Does anyone have crown lengthening on a back molar ? How does it feel ? Does it feel loose ? Any problems ? Can the crown-lengthened back molar chew like a normal molar ? Are the exposed roots difficult to clean and cause problems ? Are adjacent teeth affected ?
  • Feb 10, 2015, 02:25 AM
    ryankoenig
    Hello Everyone,
    See, it depends on how molar teeth premature and also how long it will take, it depends on this too.
  • Feb 10, 2015, 02:46 PM
    tickle
    Crown lengthening is an often accomplished process under certain circumstances. No endodontist will leave exposed roots.

Other teeth are adjusted to compensate for the new crown. You are worrying unnecessarily. No problems ever reported as far as I know. Mine crowns are perfect and have been for a good number of years !
  • Feb 25, 2015, 03:33 AM
    personalcorr
    Hi ryankoenig,

My lower L. molar at the back (#7) is only about 1 mm above gum line. I spoke with a periodontist about crown lengthening. He mentioned something about 5 mm. I don't know whether he meant removing 5 mm depth of bone or 5 mm depth of (bone + gum + other tissue). I'm worried about the consequences of removing bone/tissue, as my lower jaw beneath this tooth is only about 1 inch (25 mm) high.

Have you ever had crown lengthening surgery done on a back molar ? If yes, how much depth of bone and tissue were removed ? Any problems ? Can you describe your experience ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Crown lengthening is an often accomplished process under certain circumstances. No endodontist will leave exposed roots.

Other teeth are adjusted to compensate for the new crown. You are worrying unnecessarily. No problems ever reported as far as I know. Mine crowns are perfect and have been for a good number of years !

Hi tickle,

My lower L. molar at the back (#7) is only about 1 mm above gum line. I spoke with a periodontist about crown lengthening. He mentioned something about 5 mm. I don't know whether he meant removing 5 mm depth of bone or 5 mm depth of (bone + gum + other tissue). I'm worried about the consequences of removing bone/tissue, as my lower jaw beneath this tooth is only about 1 inch (25 mm) high.

Have you ever had crown lengthening surgery done on a back molar ? If yes, how much depth of bone and tissue were removed ? Any problems ? Can you describe your experience ?