Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Workplace Relationships (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=359)
-   -   Is my manager flirting with me? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=135974)

• Oct 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
    AllisonKay
    Is my manager flirting with me?
    So, I don't know if my manager is flirting with me. Whenever I see him he's looking at me, although we don't talk much. But when we talk it seems like he is a very good listener and by good listener I mean intense). He would untie my apron and call me alli instead of allison. He also jokes a lot, and blames me for his misfortunes (in a funny way). We're both 20 something but he acts like a kiddo! What should I think? :O
  • Oct 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Your manager is flirting with you. To untie your apron could be seen as a sexual advance to some courts. Don't risk getting involved with your manager! There is an old saying - do not sleep where you eat - which means do not mix work with dating, etc.
  • Oct 1, 2007, 03:49 PM
    afroman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonKay
    So, I dont know if my manager is flirting with me. Whenever I see him he's looking at me, although we don't talk much. But when we talk it seems like he is a very good listener and by good listener i mean intense). He would untie my apron and call me alli instead of allison. he also jokes a lot, and blames me for his misfortunes (in a funny way). we're both 20 something but he acts like a kiddo! what should i think? :O

Well, since your not in a boyfriend girlfriend relationship, I suggest you tell him straight up. That is if your annoyed by his actions. Remember if you want it done be straight forward the first time. It doesn't mean you have to be nasty about it, you can let him know in a calm firm voice.
    (let me know how it turns out) email: [email protected]
  • Oct 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
    AllisonKay
    Thanks guys, that's what I thought. It's like when you're very young and this boy likes you so he bugs you all the time. I don't feel comfortable and I'm certainly not interested. How should I approach him?
  • Oct 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
    NeedKarma
    Start by saying "I can untie my own apron, thank you."
  • Oct 2, 2007, 09:56 AM
    GlindaofOz
    Its as simple as saying "please stop". If it continues it can be seen as sexual harassment and I would take it to your HR department so that they can note that something is going on so that way if anything escalates it will be noted.
  • Oct 6, 2007, 03:05 AM
    MayMsredrose
    I strongly agree with Glinda... stop him in a poliet way... I do advise that you do not have relationships/dates... etc with your colleagues because if does not work or when you break up it will be like hell in the office and will back fire on you one way or another...

Ms. Redrose
  • Oct 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
    AllisonKay
    Thank you all, I politely asked him not to untie my apron especially because we "DO work in a restaurant, and it isn't appropriate" and he got it. It feels a lot better!
  • Oct 12, 2007, 05:35 AM
    GlindaofOz
    Good! If he does anything again just calmly repeat yourself and let someone more senior up know about this issue. Hopefully he has gotten the hint that you don't need any "manhandling"