Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Democrats must suffer major responsibility for financial meltdown (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=325169)

• Mar 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
    George_1950
    Democrats must suffer major responsibility for financial meltdown
    This report is instructive: YouTube - Timeline shows Bush, McCain warning Dems of financial and housing crisis; meltdown
  • Mar 5, 2009, 05:23 AM
    excon

Hello George:

It IS instructive. Thanks for that...

But there's a couple things about it that I'd like to bring to your attention.

You know how the Democrats are in charge today? You know that the Republicans can't get ANY of their stuff passed, because they don't have any POWER.

Well, the REPUBLICANS were in CHARGE of the nation when the meltdown happened, in the same way the Democrats are in charge today. If the Republicans wanted to DO something about Fannie and Freddie THEN, they COULD have. They DIDN'T.

To blame the Democrats for the meltdown, is like blaming the Republicans for the stim.

The NEXT thing to understand is that the breakdown of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack did NOT cause the worldwide financial panic that is upon is.

It was the packaging of these mortgages into derivatives and credit swaps by Wall Street bankers who sold them to the world and made jillions.

IF the bankers didn't SELL these packages, Fannie and Freddie would have been a snap to bail out if they needed it...

So, it was the deregulated market that Wall Street was dealing in that caused the meltdown. Not the Dems. Not even close to the Dems.

excon
  • Mar 5, 2009, 06:29 AM
    tomder55

Ex

The Republicans never had the numbers in the Senate . The Dems. Don't at this point either... but all they need to do is peel 3 RINOs like Collins Snowe and Specter to get stuff passed.

The Republicans worked between 2001-2002 with an effective Democrat majority in the Senate (because of the Jeffords betrayal Daschel was the Senate leader ) . Then in 2002 the Republicans got a thin majority in both houses for 4 years.

It is not true that they could've gotten anything they wanted done. Look at how many Bush judiciary selections never got a fair hearing .
  • Mar 5, 2009, 07:34 AM
    George_1950

In the event you missed Greenspan's comments, this is what I heard from his testimony before the House Financial Services Committee on 02/17/2005: "...we are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk." Those are fairly plain words from a man who usually spoke circumspectly in public.
  • Mar 5, 2009, 07:42 AM
    George_1950

Another instructive video: Democrats and Fannie and Freddie
    YouTube - Explosive Video, Fannie Mae CEO calling Obama and the Dems the "Family" and "Conscience" of Fannie Mae
  • Mar 5, 2009, 07:45 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    In the event you missed Greenspan's comments, this is what I heard from his testimony before the House Financial Services Committee on 02/17/2005: "...we are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk." Those are fairly plain words from a man who usually spoke circumspectly in public.

Hello again, George:

I didn't miss them. In fact, I wondered why the REPUBLICANS who were in CHARGE at that time, DIDN'T do something...

Plus, I also noticed that the crisis took a few years to get to the point where Greenspan would make such a warning, being that he's so circumspect... Lo and behold, the REPUBLICANS were in CHARGE of those years too.

Yeah, those terrible Democrats.. Bwa, ha ha ha.

excon
  • Mar 5, 2009, 07:54 AM
    George_1950

I am just a bit curious:
    Political contributions to Barack Obama from Fannie and Freddie: $126,349 in just four years, behind only Chris Dodd, Chair of Senate Banking Committee; how did Obama work his way up the food chain so quickly?
  • Mar 5, 2009, 07:56 AM
    excon

Hello again, George:

Let me see if I can explain it to you once again.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack had only so much capital to lend. If they lent it ALL to sub prime borrowers, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack would be broke, and we'd have to cover a few thousand bad mortgages...

We could have done that easily WITHOUT taking the world down.

BUT, Wall Street bankers packaged the loans and sold them to the world. And the world bought them, and bought them, and then bought some more.

It was THAT influx of cash that fueled the housing bubble and that caused it to crash, taking down our economy and the worlds along with it.

I know you're going to stick to the Fanny Mae and Barney Frank stuff, cause that's what the emails are all about.

Maybe the people who keep sending you the emails don't understand international stuff like this. Certainly, the head of your party, the limp one, doesn't.

Besides, Barney Frank is more fun to beat up than the dufus who let this all happen under his watch.

excon
  • Mar 5, 2009, 08:02 AM
    George_1950
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post

Besides, Barney Frank is more fun to beat up than the dufus who let this all happen under his watch.

excon

Doesn't Barney Frank look like Mr. McGoo?

Funny thing, ex: I don't hear anything about Freddie and Fannie having a lack of money to lend, at least not in these videos. As for Greespan, what part of "...total financial system.." did you not understand?
  • Mar 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
    George_1950

With their constituency being exposed, Democrats attack the messenger:
    YouTube - Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis
  • Mar 5, 2009, 08:54 AM
    speechlesstx
    You know the Dems are always too busy taking credit for their good intentions to ever accept responsibility for their failures. What I want to know at them moment is when are we going to see the change of tone in Washington that Obama promised? Now they're busy trying to find a ten word slogan for a billboard in Rush's home town. The lucky winner will get a free T-shirt.

Is that the kind of bull excrement you people elected them for? Next time maybe you can vote for some adults to run the country...
  • Mar 5, 2009, 09:35 AM
    excon

Hello again, Steve:

I wish I could think up some funny name for Limprod, but nothing comes to mind.

excon
  • Mar 5, 2009, 09:41 AM
    George_1950

This quote is from 2005, and much like a weather report to the ill-fated Titanic:
    “To place this in some perspective, all Treasury debt held by the public totals $4.4 trillion, and all corporate bonds outstanding total $2.9 trillion. Fannie's and Freddie's liabilities--including both their MBS guarantees and their borrowings--come in right in the middle, at $3.7 trillion. Thus, only two companies--both of which are GSEs and implicitly backed by the U.S. government--account for more default risk than all other U.S. corporations combined. The risks for the taxpayers are obvious, but as many commentators have also pointed out, risk of this size, if concentrated in only two companies, poses a danger to the U.S. economic system as a whole--a danger known as systemic risk…" http://www.aei.org/publications/pubI...pub_detail.asp (2005)

“In February 2005, the House Financial Services Committee heard testimony from Chairman Greenspan on the condition of the economy. After his prepared testimony, in response to a question about the GSEs' portfolios, Greenspan noted, "We have found no reasonable basis for that portfolio above very minimum needs." He then proposed "a $100 billion, $200 billion--whatever the number might turn out to be--limit on the size of the aggregate portfolios of those institutions--and the reason I say that is there are certain purposes which I can see in the holding of mortgages which might be helpful in a number of different areas. But $900 billion for Fannie and somewhat less, obviously, for Freddie, I don't see the purpose of it." Greenspan then articulated his reasons for limiting the GSEs' portfolios: "If [Fannie and Freddie] continue to grow, continue to have the low capital that they have, continue to engage in the dynamic hedging of their portfolios, which they need to do for interest rate risk aversion, they potentially create ever-growing potential systemic risk down the road." He added, "Enabling these institutions to increase in size--and they will, once the crisis, in their judgment, passes--we are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk."[2]” ibid.
    I apologize if I have said Greenspan ever recanted his capitalist philosophy; I know some have, but don't believe I have. His remarks seem to be uttered in frustration over what Congress was doing in the face of reasonable questions about intended and unintended consequences.
  • Mar 5, 2009, 09:45 AM
    450donn

With politicians it has always been attack, attack, attack to take the heat off them. This is just another example of the Cinton machine using this sort of strategy to take the heat off them and their failures. Now, EC, you still insist on making false accusations. This whole mess can be traced to Jimmy Carter and his plans to force the banks to offer loans to people who had little chance of ever repaying these loans. It was further pushed over the brink by your beloved Bill ( I didn't inhale) Clinton and his inept Janet Reno further forcing the banking industry to lend money to the poor for houses they had no hope of ever making the payments on. Then you have the ranking member of the banking committee that Barnie Frank dope that has taken tons of money from Freddie and Fannie over the years and has used his power to protect them. While there is no one in congress that has done their job protecting the USA over this mess. The only thing we can do as a country is stop throwing our children's inheritance down the toilet and start getting the likes of Reid, Pelosi, and every other member of congress out and replace then with honest people that are genuinely concerned with the welfare of the country in stead of their own pockets.
  • Mar 5, 2009, 09:49 AM
    George_1950

The fox is in charge of the hen house. I like a Chris Shays quote: " I am new to this committee and I was absolutely shocked when we looked at Enron and WorldCom. The board of directors did not do their job. The management did not do its job. The employees did not speak out. The lawyers in the firm were facilitators. The rating agencies did not do their job. It scared the hell out of me, frankly.
    We passed Sarbanes-Oxley, which was a very tough response to that. And then I realized that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would not even come under it. They were not under the 1934 Act. They were not under the 1933 Act. They play by their own rules, and I am tempted to ask how many people in this room are on the payroll of Fannie Mae, because what they do is they basically hire every lobbyist they can possibly hire. They hire some people to lobby and they hire some people not to lobby so that the opposition cannot hire them.
    Fannie Mae has manipulated, in my judgment, OFHEO for years. For OFHEO to finally come out with a report as strong as it is tells me that has got to be the minimum, not the maximum. I congratulate OFHEO for finally stepping up to the plate and not being manipulated by the very organization they are supposed to regulate.
    I hear these arguments that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are looking out for the interests of the homeowners, and they score worse in helping minorities than the private sector banks under the 1934 Act and the 1933 Act.
    Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are very generous to members of Congress and very generous to the organizations of caucuses in Congress. They do not have to disclose what they do. They do not have to play by the same rules. They are going to crash if this Congress does not wake up and do something about it.
    I am absolutely shocked at the extraordinary tolerance that has taken place in this Congress. This is just the beginning of the story. What did OFHEO say? They said they have accounting methods and practices that did not comply with generally accepted accounting practices, employed an improper cookie jar reserve in its accounting system, deferred expenses to meet compensation targets, did not have proper corporate governance controls in place. We need to wake up and the sooner we do the better it will be for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and all their investors, and the better it will be for our government.
    The OFHEO Report: Allegations of Accounting and Management Failure at Fannie Mae
  • Mar 5, 2009, 10:25 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Hello again, Steve:

I wish I could think up some funny name for Limprod, but nothing comes to mind.

I'm sure you'll think of something... else.
  • Mar 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
    inthebox
    Quote:

Hello again, George:

Let me see if I can explain it to you once again.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack had only so much capital to lend. If they lent it ALL to sub prime borrowers, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack would be broke, and we'd have to cover a few thousand bad mortgages....

We could have done that easily WITHOUT taking the world down.

BUT, Wall Street bankers packaged the loans and sold them to the world. And the world bought them, and bought them, and then bought some more.

It was THAT influx of cash that fueled the housing bubble and that caused it to crash, taking down our economy and the worlds along with it.

I know you're gonna stick to the Fanny Mae and Barney Frank stuff, cause that's what the emails are all about.

Maybe the people who keep sending you the emails don't understand international stuff like this. Certainly, the head of your party, the limp one, doesn't.

excon

Fannie and Freddie are GSEs. The bankers do what bankers, or what the average person would do, try to maximize profit while reducing risk. These GSEs had federal backing - that is taxpayor backing. If these did not have taxpayor backing it would have increased there risk and most likely would not have been very attractive to bankers in the first place.

But it was Government INVOLVEMENT that set up the conditions. Yes both GOP and DEMS.
    And it is the GOP, under Bush, and the DEMs under Obama that are using taxpayor money of this, the next, and probably the next generation to bailout these banks and companies like GM ,that are not profitable enough to stay in business on their own.

G&P
  • Mar 7, 2009, 09:50 PM
    George_1950

NEW YORK (Fortune) March 5, 2009:
    "Officials shouldn't reveal which Wall Street firms pocketed billions of dollars in the government's bailout of AIG, a top Federal Reserve official said...."
    "Firms that did business with the troubled insurer did so "expecting confidentiality," Fed Vice Chairman Donald Kohn told the Senate Banking Committee in testimony Thursday....
    "'Public confidence in what we're doing is at stake, and the public right now is deeply deeply troubled,' said committee chairman Chris Dodd, D-Conn. 'I understand the legal arguments you've given me, but that kind of answer undermines public trust.'" Fed wants to keep AIG secrets - Mar. 5, 2009
  • Mar 16, 2009, 06:49 AM
    George_1950

"...It also was revealed over the weekend that American International Group Inc. used more than $90 billion in federal aid to pay out foreign and domestic banks, some of whom had received their own multibillion-dollar U.S. government bailouts.

"Some of the biggest recipients of the AIG money were Goldman Sachs at $12.9 billion, and three European banks -- France's Societe Generale at $11.9 billion, Germany's Deutsche Bank at $11.8 billion, and Britain's Barclays PLC at $8.5 billion. Merrill Lynch, which also is undergoing federal scrutiny of its bonus plans, received $6.8 billion as of Dec. 31.

"The money went to banks to cover their losses on complex mortgage investments, as well as for collateral needed for other transactions...

"Frank said he was disgusted, asserting that "these bonuses are going to people who screwed this thing up enormously."

"Maybe it's time to fire some people," he said. "We can't keep them from getting bonuses but we can keep them from having their jobs. ... In high school, they wouldn't have gotten retention (bonuses), they would have gotten detention."
    Frank assails bonuses paid to executives at AIG - Yahoo! Finance

At the end of the day, the American taxpayers - born and unborn - saddled with the cost of the welfare state.
  • Mar 16, 2009, 06:56 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    At the end of the day, the American taxpayers - born and unborn - saddled with the cost of the welfare state.

Hello George:

You had it right, until the end...

The ones who saddled us are the Wall Street looters who RIPPED US off. I don't know why you don't look that direction... Oh, yes I do - they're your buddies. They were the Bush buddies too. He called his constituency, "the haves and the have MORES".

Well, they got MORE, all right, and they got it from YOU and ME.

excon