Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Religious Discussions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485)
-   -   Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=297904)

• Jan 1, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Nestorian
    Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image.
    K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic.

Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that "the human race" was a product of evolution from monkeys. Awww so cute and cudly, ok, get off me. Haha, just kidding guys and gals. ;) Then there is the people who believe that there is not enough evidence for that theory to be FACT. So it is a possiblity but not fact.

Then there are those who believe in the "WORD of GOD", the teachings of the bible. The good book, or the book you find a hotel drawer?? Rather odd considering some of the things people do in those rooms eh?? haha, again kidding. ;) In this book, people are said to have been created in GODs own image; if you have a direct quote I'd very much apprecitate it if you'd post it; thus people assume that GOD created us to look like GOD. (reason i don't say him while reffering to GOD is because i don't believe God is any specified gender, and very well may be both or none.) So some of these people agree that GOD created us by means of Adam and Eve in a matter of days, where as some believe that GOD created us by means of evolution. There is more but we'll find that later.

So my original question is kind of deul in purpose. 1ST, What does the bible mean by "created in his own image"??

2ND, Is the bible more of a book of Myths, fables and stories that are ment to inspire the "word of GOD"?? NOt a book of fact.

3RD, I would aregue that our race has bin evolving since it was upone the earth, however, it seems that our physique is perfected, while our mentality is changing. Yes, I believe that the people that lived in the days of Jessus, were less intelegant, not because they couldn't be more so, but because there wasn't as many resources to use to gain knowledge as fast and largly as we do today.

Ok, I want a clean fight! No kicking bighting or boggie wiping, it's just unpleasant. HAHA, OK, easy goes it and try to have some fun. Lets hear what you all got for me. ;)
  • Jan 1, 2009, 05:38 PM
    N0help4u

Created in his image actually means attributes.

God Created Man in His Image, and the Fall

God "The Creator", Man "The Artist" Created in His Image.
  • Jan 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Nestorian

So the human race is supposed to look like it's creator, and it's not even slightly plossible that it's referring to the idea that GOD had an image in his mind of what we should look like, then presto we are there as GOD so saw us in his imagination. I mean really he'd have to have one or nothing would be right?
  • Jan 2, 2009, 06:28 AM
    SassyTT
    The Bible is not talking about physical attributes when it says we are created in God's image. Our Spirit is created in God's image. God is a spiritual being, man is a being that consists of Spirit, Soul, and Body. So man's spirit being is what has been created in God's image.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 08:30 AM
    N0help4u

Exactly -spirit and soul.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Choux

I doubt if according to the Jewish myth, that GodAlmighty created humans in the image and likeness of himself... human beings suffer much from diseases such as autism, schizophrenia, cancer, mental illness, on and on and in addition, from famine, tsuname, poverty, on and on... I don't think that GodAlmighty spends any time suffering, and in fact, won't do anything to alleviate suffering not the fault of the individual... therefore, GodAlmighty is not loving or all powerful. We see that in the story of Job... GodAlmighty sent extreme suffering into his life to *test him*.

GodAlmighty is a Sadist, in fact... there is no love there based on the facts, and he enjoys innocent people's suffering.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
    N0help4u

Created in his image was before the fall... before the suffering.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 11:29 AM
    firmbeliever
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    3RD, I would aregue that our race has bin evolving since it was upone the earth, however, it seems that our physique is perfected, while our mentality is changing. Yes, i believe that the people that lived in the days of Jessus, were less intelegant, not because they couldn't be more so, but because there wasn't as many resources to use to gain knowlege as fast and largly as we do today.

Mentality may have changed but I do not believe that we are more intelligent or less intelligent than previous generations.

Can you actually imagine the architectural designs of the historical buildings of the past and to think they did not have AutoCad to aid them?Imagine the brain must have had been used far better than we are now,for the mere fact that,Now a lot of work is being done by programs/programmed machines, where we make less use of our brain,hence possibly our brains are developing less than ancient generations.

Their physical strength may have been even greater as they did manual labor more than some of us ever would.
    And another thing is that our younger generations are so dependent on machines to do their mental work, I rather think that parts of the brain do not develop as much as it should.

Guess I am going far far away from the topic,but I do think if we were to compare the tools we have at hand and what they had at hand, and then compare the work they did, they maybe more intelligent and capable of greater things than we are.

We in fact with all the knowledge we have are destroying ourselves with use/abuse of all things that harm us.

:)
  • Jan 2, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Nestorian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Mentality may have changed but I do not believe that we are more intelligent or less intelligent than previous generations.

Can you actually imagine the architectural designs of the historical buildings of the past and to think they did not have AutoCad to aid them?Imagine the brain must have had been used far better than we are now,for the mere fact that,Now a lot of work is being done by programs/programmed machines, where we make less use of our brain,hence quite possibly our brains are developing less than ancient generations.

Their physical strength may have been even greater as they did manual labor more than some of us ever would.
    And another thing is that our younger generations are so dependent on machines to do their mental work, I rather think that parts of the brain do not develop as much as it should.

Guess I am going far far away from the topic,but I do think if we were to compare the tools we have at hand and what they had at hand, and then compare the work they did, they maybe more intelligent and capable of greater things than we are.

We in fact with all the knowledge we have are destroying ourselves with use/abuse of all things that harm us.

Ah, you my friend, speak true and wise.

And I agree, our race is being rather unwise with the way it is taking care of the power it has. I suppose the only thing we can do to change that is, do what we ourselves can to help the environment. Because with out it being just as it is, then chances are we won't be at all.

Peace be with you.
  • Jan 3, 2009, 06:37 PM
    galveston

Gen 1:26
    26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:
    (KJV)

Both likeness AND image.
  • Jan 3, 2009, 06:40 PM
    N0help4u

This is what I found

Image - the powers with which each one of us is endowed by God from the first moment of our existence (free will, reason, sense of moral responsibility, etc.)

Likeness - making proper use of being in His image will allow us to acquire God's likeness, to be deified (assimilated to God through virtue).
  • Jan 3, 2009, 06:46 PM
    galveston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    I doubt if according to the Jewish myth, that GodAlmighty created humans in the image and likeness of himself.....human beings suffer much from diseases such as autism, schizophrenia, cancer, mental illness, on and on and in addition, from famine, tsuname, poverty, on and on.....I don't think that GodAlmighty spends any time suffering, and in fact, won't do anything to alleviate suffering not the fault of the individual...therefore, GodAlmighty is not loving or all powerful. We see that in the story of Job....GodAlmighty sent extreme suffering into his life to *test him*.

GodAlmighty is a Sadist, in fact....there is no love there based on the facts, and he enjoys innocent people's suffering.

You have zero understanding of the book of Job.

Satan basically issued a challenge to God: "You have no one on Earth who serves you because of integrity or love. You have bought Job's friendship by what you have given him. If you let me take that away, Job will curse you to your face."

Do you think God could ignore that challenge? After all, if no one serves Him because they really want to, then God has no right to rule, which is of course, Satan's position from the beginning of his rebellion.

After Job proved Satan wrong, God restored more to Job than he had to begin with. As far as Job's children were concerned, if they were following in their father's steps, then they have been in Heaven ever since.

You shouldn't make accusations based on a false understanding.
  • Jan 3, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Nestorian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by galveston View Post

One's understanding is all one knows; is it not? So how would one see that their understanding is wrong? Even if you prove them wrong, that may not change their understanding if they so choose to understand your "proof" as faulse. And you may want to realise that you are being a bit Hypocritical in stating the above. Because your perception is different from others, thus you will understand things differently. Some may agree with you, but in the end. There will probably be others who do not agree.
    You may want to reconsider your statement. ;)
  • Jan 4, 2009, 07:05 AM
    N0help4u

His statement is accurate. Job means exactly as he said and yes Choux walked away with a different interpretation but as galveston said it is inaccurate.
  • Jan 4, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Credendovidis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestorian
    Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that "the human race" was a product of evolution from monkeys.

No scientific professional believes that "the human race" was a product of evolution from monkeys. The human race and monkeys share common ancestors. Just a couple more than we do with other animals. We even share ancestors with bananas and all other lifeforms.

Quote:

Science Vs. Religion (GOD)

Science is not versus religion.
    Science is about explanation and objective supporting evidence (OSE).
    Religion is about belief without any OSE.
    And therefore never the two will meet.

Quote:

GOD created man in his own image.

"God" created man in his own image??
    The important question here is more : who "created" "God"??

• Jan 6, 2009, 03:37 PM
    michealb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    You have zero understanding of the book of Job.

Satan basically issued a challenge to God: "You have no one on Earth who serves you because of integrity or love. You have bought Job's friendship by what you have given him. If you let me take that away, Job will curse you to your face."

Do you think God could ignore that challenge? After all, if no one serves Him because they really want to, then God has no right to rule, which is of course, Satan's position from the beginning of his rebellion.

After Job proved Satan wrong, God restored more to Job than he had to begin with. As far as Job's children were concerned, if they were following in their father's steps, then they have been in Heaven ever since.

When I was in high school I drove a old beat up firebird, it was a red light monster faster than almost everyone else on the road but since I knew I wasn't the fastest I had something to prove because it wasn't all powerful. I would answer every challenge. Later I bought a nice corvette and I found I no longer needed to prove myself I had everything and nothing to gain by winning a drag race with some cheaper car I could only loose something. Same would go for god making a bet with the devil. Why when you have all the power would you not dismiss the challenge as being below you as all challenges to a all powerful being would be. If I could figure out that there are some challenges that are not worth answering right out of high school am I smarter than your god? I think so...
  • Jan 6, 2009, 07:02 PM
    arcura
    I do believe that since God was spirit only until the Birth of Jesus we were made in the likeness image of that spirit.
    We have a spirit like God and a soul like His.
    Before Jesus was born as a man he was The Word.
    Now He is both Man and The Word.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
  • Jan 7, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Credendovidis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I do believe that since God was spirit only until the Birth of Jesus we were made in the likeness image of that spirit.

You may believe that, Fred. No problem.

Nothing personal, but from my point of view that view shows haughtiness and arrogance... a "perfect omniscient supra-natural omni-potent" spirit who needed a human body to push it acclaimed message to humanity...

If such an omni-potent entity would exist, it would not need a human format.
    If such a supra-natural entity would exist, is humanity perhaps no more than an experiment ?
    If such an omni-scient and omni-benevolent entity would exist, belief in such a deity would be irrelevant.
    All that would count is how one lives his/her life.

• Jan 7, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Nestorian
    [QUOTE=Credendovidis;1462788]No scientific professional believes that "the human race" was a product of evolution from monkeys. The human race and monkeys share common ancestors. Just a couple more than we do with other animals. We even share ancestors with bananas and all other lifeforms.

Science is not versus religion.
    Science is about explanation and objective supporting evidence (OSE).
    Religion is about belief without any OSE.
    And therefore never the two will meet.

"God" created man in his own image??
    The important question here is more : who "created" "God"??

Ah, yes I've bin waiting for that respons. I call that all other life form bit, "All are one, and one is all."

You sure like your OSE don't you?;) Fair enough.

Haha, good question, one I didn't ever expect. Here is another one, does it really even matter? Questions without answers... I suppose I'll be content on simply enjoying the world as it enjoys me. Peace be with you. And good question.
  • Jan 7, 2009, 06:45 PM
    arcura
    Nestorian,
    I believe that no one or thing created God.
    God is eternal.
    Nothing but Him would exist except for His creation, therefore God is existence itself.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred