Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Cooking wine vs dry red wine (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=194911)

• Mar 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
    massplumber2008
    Cooking wine vs dry red wine
    Hi all:

Thank you for reading/responding to this post.

I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help appreciated.. Thank you... Mark
  • Mar 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
    charlotte234s
    Cooking wine usually tastes different than regular wine, sweeter, and a different texture, so to speak. I would say to just purchase a dry red wine, and not use the cooking wine, because it will produce a different flavor than the recipe creator intended.
  • Mar 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
    massplumber2008
    Thank you Charlotte... we just went out and purchased the dry red wine... Turns out the cooking wine has 1tsp salt per cup... YUK! Thank you for your input. Good day! Mark
  • Mar 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
    charlotte234s
    Good luck with your soup!
  • Mar 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
    templelane
    Wow I never knew there was such a thing as bought cooking wine! I always thought it was just the leftover wine that was a bit too vinagary to drink. You learn something new everyday.
    Happy cooking :)
  • Mar 16, 2008, 02:10 AM
    curlybenswife
    Cooking wine has addatives also pretty revolting but you should remember when cooking with any alcaholic beverage the alcahol has to be burnt off to gain the best flavour.
    Just don't do what I did and put the 20 dollar wine in the spag bol I wasn't popular hehehehe well we were drinking it so where was the harm I say might as well eat it as well ;)
  • Mar 16, 2008, 04:30 AM
    massplumber2008
    Hi all:

Update... Roasted onions, garlic, thyme, S&P for 30 minutes @450, then deglazed the roasting pan with 1.5 cups wine in oven another 15 minutes, then to stove top with 8 cups beef stock... simmered 30 minutes. A little gruy'ere and swiss cheese broiled over crouton... The best onion soup I ever had!

If anyone wants complete recipe... let me know. Thanks for positive input all!

Mark.
  • May 31, 2008, 03:48 PM
    noss
    Hello massplumber (Mark). I'm new here and have been looking for a good onion soup recipe and I would like to have your recipe. Not sure how to go about things yet, but I enjoyed reading the posts. :D Thanks, Vee
  • May 31, 2008, 06:31 PM
    massplumber2008
    Hi Noss:

Check out this link...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cookin...g-56553-3.html

You should just need to scroll down to POST #102.

I think I stumbled on a keeper! Please let us know what you think! :)

Mark
  • May 31, 2008, 09:21 PM
    noss
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting the recipe and supplying the link to it. That was kind of you.

This is one oniony recipe and looks scrumptious. I will try it next time my husband is on break.

I'm so glad I found this site where I can talk with people about such things because I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but like the taste in cooking.

Noss
  • May 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
    noss
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a mushroom/onion/red wine sauce for steak? I've made a sauce with these ingredients before, but was just winging it. I also put garlic in it one time.

Thanks,

Noss
  • Jun 1, 2008, 06:08 AM
    massplumber2008
    Hey again Noss:

Hey, I was glad to post it for you!

Also, just wanted you to know that only me, curlyben'swife, templelane and charlotte234s will get the question you just posted.

We are all keyed to this question by having "subscribed" to it (in other words I asked a question and these guys answered it). Therefore, they will be notified something happened at this question and they may be able to help you.

You are better off going to the COOKING FORUM and posting your question again so EVERYONE that comes into cooking can see it.

That way you will get most responses! Good luck! Let me know if you guys liked the recipe when hubby returns... ;)

Mark
  • Jun 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
    noss
    Oh, OK. Thanks for letting me know. I may get the hang of this site yet. I hope... :)
  • Jun 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
    noss
    Now I'm really feeling stupid, but I can't find anything that says Cooking Forum. Is that the same as Ask about Cooking? I've looked all over and can't find the answer to this question. I went to Ask about Cooking and asked if anyone had a good recipe for the mushroom/wine sauce, but when I looked to see if it showed up, it wasn't there. Oh dear, please bear with me.

Thanks,

noss
  • Jun 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
    mymemine
    I have always been told if you won't drink it than do not cook with it!
  • Feb 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
    ijoe619
    chocolate

This is one oniony recipe and looks scrumptious. I will try it next time my husband is on break.

I'm so glad I found this site where I can talk with people about such things because I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but like the taste in cooking.
  • May 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
    RubyMittal
    Cooking Wine