Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Is there a way to get through to the people that say racist things about refugees? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=816578)

• Sep 28, 2015, 03:18 PM
    misspurple77
    Is there a way to get through to the people that say racist things about refugees?
    I saw some people post the most horrific, racist things, sometimes even lies about refugees on their Facebooks.

Because I know those people, I thought that saying nothing would be wrong. So I just pointed out the inconsistenties and never called them racist or anything, but all that that led to, was that they unfriended me.

I don't regret that, I don't want to be friends with racist people, but I would prefer to reach out to them in an effective way, because I am really afraid that the things they post can lead to violence against refugees, especially now that they unfriended me for pointing out the inconsistencies.

What is the best way to deal with this problem?
  • Sep 28, 2015, 03:37 PM
    tickle
    You can't, it would have to be on an international level and since you are not in that category it would be an impossibility unless you keep hammering at it in social media.
  • Sep 28, 2015, 03:49 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You can't, it would have to be on an international level and since you are not in that category it would be an impossibility unless you keep hammering at it in social media.

Thank you. I already thought so, but I needed the assurance. You can't hammer anymore if someone unfriends you. I just hope that my former Facebook friends aren't the ones vandalising places where refugees arrive.
  • Sep 28, 2015, 08:47 PM
    smoothy
    Refugee is a very misused term these days. Illegal immigrant is the correct term in most cases, very few are actually refugees. And having seen first hand what has been happening in Europe and the crimes many of these people are committing. A lot of things being said about them are absolutely true. But since I haven't heard what was being said by the people you know...I can't comment on that.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 01:53 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    The issue is at this point in Europe and other places, who and what is going to happen. Are you willing to pay another 10 percent in taxes, so that the government can give them free money, free housing, free medical care for years and years?

How ( if ever) will their immigration be handled, what proof of identity, proof of criminal history will they provide.

We have refugee centers about 200 miles from my house with about 20,000 or more people in it. The process and cost of this effort is unbelievable.

And many of them bring some of the same and names to themselves. Groups that do not want to go to some countries, because they offer less welfare, or because they can not gain citizenship easily.

Also, the term "racist" is used too often when there is no real defense against what is being said.

I was called racist because as a police officer, I arrested 80 percent blacks. (I worked in a black community that was 99 percent black, even finding a white person to arrest was amazing)

I am called racist because I think any and all people coming into a country should be by legal channels, Esp America is a nation of law,

I am called racist because I think people that come into a new nation should assimilate into culture. (America was called a melting pot, not a nation of many pots) As a person who has moved to a new nation, I have to learn the language, except for driving test and immigration offices, there is no English in government offices here. So I have to adapt to language, customs and more.

Fear of terrorism. Call me racist again, but most Americans, (and many in Europe) do not live in the knowledge of the 100's, if not 1000's of terrorist attacks (both those that happen, and those stopped) that happen each month. Here, I live in a city that a couple years ago, had a mass murder at our train station, where a suicide bomber was only about 10 feet from me, when police jumped him last year. So if I happen to be more concerned over a certain type of person? That is know to do these attacks, is that racist or realistic?
  • Sep 29, 2015, 01:58 AM
    J_9
    I have been caLied racist because I don't like our president or what he stands for. I felt the same thing about Clinton, but I wasn't called racist because he was white.

Be careful when you are labeling someone.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 04:28 AM
    misspurple77
    I live in Europe, 2 km from a refugee center, that used to be a hospital. Our taxes won't be raised 10% because of the refugees! And they are not goldseekers. There really is a war going on.

Someone posted that Europeans are becoming homeless because they are building new refugeecenters. That is a lie. Nobody is being evicted for refugees.Of course are there criminals among the refugees, you have them everywhere There might even be terrorists among them. But I don't want to have the poor innocent people to suffer from the bad apples in between them.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 06:52 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    The issue will be how many, and if an economy can handle the number. And if the homeless and needy people of that area are being cared for first.

In the US for example, there is great hate, that the American Veteran is not getting very good care, while plans for funding of refugee centers are being done. And yes, taxes will have to be raised at some point if 100's of thousands of refugees are bought in.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 07:02 AM
    misspurple77
    We barely have any homeless here, because of our good social security system. I live of disability myself and rent my own apartment with rentcontrol and I get an allowance for my rent and for my health insurance. We have nothing to complain about.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 07:32 AM
    smoothy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by misspurple77 View Post
    I live in Europe, 2 km from a refugee center, that used to be a hospital. Our taxes won't be raised 10% because of the refugees! And they are not goldseekers. There really is a war going on.

Someone posted that Europeans are becoming homeless because they are building new refugeecenters. That is a lie. Nobody is being evicted for refugees.Of course are there criminals among the refugees, you have them everywhere There might even be terrorists among them. But I don't want to have the poor innocent people to suffer from the bad apples in between them.

People in Germany ARE in fact being evicted from their homes to make room for the "illegals" . Most of whom are on the move for economic reasons... not because of a war. And yes taxes WILL be raised on people who work to pay for them. No European country has extra money to throw around and housing and feeding them is not free. Most will never work... most will leach off the taxpayers.

People in Italy can not afford these illegals...they don't even have jobs for their own citizens. Except for the communists who want their votes...nobody else there wants them. The crime rate has skyrocketed since they came illegally..Its no longer safe to even leave my motorcycle chained up outside overnight. Before they came I never had to chain it up at all. I have to have my inlaws check my property there daily now...instead of dropping by every few weeks.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 10:40 AM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    People in Germany ARE in fact being evicted from their homes to make room for the "illegals" . Most of whom are on the move for economic reasons... not because of a war. And yes taxes WILL be raised on people who work to pay for them. No European country has extra money to throw around and housing and feeding them is not free. Most will never work... most will leach off the taxpayers.

People in Italy can not afford these illegals...they don't even have jobs for their own citizens. Except for the communists who want their votes...nobody else there wants them. The crime rate has skyrocketed since they came illegally..Its no longer safe to even leave my motorcycle chained up outside overnight. Before they came I never had to chain it up at all. I have to have my inlaws check my property there daily now...instead of dropping by every few weeks.

Well, I live in The Netherlands, nobody got evicted here and there was a meme posted that Dutch people were evicted, that isn't the truth.

Yes, among the refugees, are unfortunately also criminals, just like there are Dutch criminals. But as soon as you break the law, you don't get a visa anymore. People without a visa, don't get anything from the government: no house, no money, no healthcare. That is the part that worries me: they should really put the criminals back on a plane. I don't care that they go back to an area where it is dangerous, if you make the safe country where I live less safe.

But some people act as if every single refugee is a criminal.

A lot of them do get jobs. I dated to former refugees, one from Angola and one from Guinee, both have jobs. I know a lot of refugees, from Burkina Faso, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cameroun, they all have jobs! So the fact that most of them will never work, is a straight out lie.

In fact if you get up really early or you party all night and you go home, the guys that are delivering the early morning newspapers, are only former refugees, the Dutch people, including me, are too spoiled for a job like that. If you go to Schiphol (our international airport), all the cleaners are former refugees, the Dutch are too spoiled to clean the airport.

If you go into the kitchens of the restaurants, you see a lot of former refugees preparing the food. If you watch the movie Samba, you see an accurate depiction of how refugees live. It is set in Paris, but I recognised a lot that is also reality in The Netherlands. The guy that I dated from Guinee even looks like Omar Sy.

I work as a volunteer at a gym, in an effort to prepare myself for a real job again. Our cleaning lady is also a volunteer, from Somalia. I don't want to be a cleaning lady. My first job was as a cleaning lady and I sucked at it, I can't work as fast as they wanted me to, I am clumsy and I am not soothed for physical labour.

Fortunately, I am born and raised here and even have a bachelor degree, so I will probably find a deskjob or something that will pay better.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 01:29 PM
    Catsmine
    Being as your current wave of refugees is from a war without uniforms, can you tell the difference between a refugee and an infiltrator? Infiltration and human wave attacks have been quite successful strategies in that part of the world for several millennia.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 01:50 PM
    Wondergirl
    From what I understand, the majority of these refugees are youngish males (teen to 40ish) who are looking for economic opportunities, not safety from war. (So why aren't they fighting for this in and for their own countries?) Even the families supposedly are looking for economic improvement, not for a haven from war. The European countries don't have the resources and jobs for tens of thousands of these immigrants.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:06 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Being as your current wave of refugees is from a war without uniforms, can you tell the difference between a refugee and an infiltrator? Infiltration and human wave attacks have been quite successful strategies in that part of the world for several millennia.

No, I can't tell the difference. But what do you mean with an infiltrator? No refugee can pass as a Dutch person, because they can't speak perfect Dutch without an accent. They will always be different from the people that were born here.

Do you mean terrorism with human wave attacks? I am unfamilliar with those words. In case that is what you mean: That is why the authorities should do their job of sortening them out very thoroughly. But we are talking about people here. What are you suggesting? That we should let all those people just perish, because there might be terrorists among them?

War can occur anywhere and if I ever have to flee my home, I hope that there is a place for me to run. So I am treating these refugees the same way that I would wanted to be treated: as a human first and as a risk second.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:08 PM
    smoothy
    I am from and in the USA.. I also spend a significant time and have ties in Italy... family and property... and have for 25 years. And unlike any of them...I actually have a right to Italian Citizenship.

Anyone that shows up in any country without a valid VISA or papers is a criminal.. or if they qualify as a tourist and overstay that... IS a criminal. It's a crime to be in ANY country without the legal right to be there.

The unemployment rate for EDUCATED Italian youth is exceptionally high... its even higher for those without a college degree. There aren't enough jobs for people who have a legal right to be in Italy... and Illegals are taking away some of those precious jobs from them.

Italy's economy is barely better than Portugal and Spain.. and they were barely above Greece and its obvious what is going on there. Get ready to be bailing them out soon as well, and paying dearly for it because you are one of the people by welcoming all the uneducated and unwashed people in that shouldn't be there. You WILL be paying for it...don't fool yourself into believing otherwise....you are now with your high taxes, which will be going higher.

And as was said... these are people of the age who SHOULD be fighting for their own country.. rather than running to and hiding in another country where they won't lift a finger to help either. And they aren't paying their way... a very few might be... most are collecting welfare that legal citizens can't get, free or subsidized housing actual citizens can't get because they are on a waiting list these illegals never had to wait in. If they won't lift a finger or take the risk to make their own country better.. they certainly won't do it for someone else's country they think they have the right to go to simply because they decide to.

And want to see what is in store for much of Europe? You need no look any further than your own news. Look what's happened within the Muslim communities in Great Britain and France... with all the rioting and crimes committed... and the complete lack of assimilation by the same group. In fact they refuse to assimilate.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:13 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    From what I understand, the majority of these refugees are youngish males (teen to 40ish) who are looking for economic opportunities, not safety from war. (So why aren't they fighting for this in and for their own countries?) Even the families supposedly are looking for economic improvement, not for a haven from war. The European countries don't have the resources and jobs for tens of thousands of these immigrants.

The majority are young men. But they are real refugees. The war is going on for four years now in Syria. A lot of them fled to Turkey first, but there just isn't enough work for them there, so they are looking for jobs elsewhere. Why aren't they fighting? Well because they don't want to fight for Assad nor for the terrorists, as far as I know there really isn't a good side in this war to fight for. You can't just raise your own army. So there is no other choice than to flee.

I know that some white Dutch men joined the Peshmerga, the Kurdic army, which was the best army to join, in which you could achieve something good. But now the Turkish army is attacking them as well, so I wouldn't want to fight for them anymore if I was bombed by Turkey and I wouldn't want to fight against them either, only against the real terrorists and of course against Assad, so then the Turkish army isn't an option either.

Unfortunately this isn't a war where you can join a good army, that fights against Assad and against all the terrorists. I am just really glad that I am not Syrian!
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:17 PM
    smoothy
    Quote:

The majority are young men. But they are real refugees. The war is going on for four years now in Syria. A lot of them fled to Turkey first, but there just isn't enough work for them there, so they are looking for jobs elsewhere. Why aren't they fighting? Well because they don't want to fight for Assad nor for the terrorists, as far as I know there really isn't a good side in this war to fight for. You can't just raise your own army. So there is no other choice than to flee.

I know that some white Dutch men joined the Peshmerga, the Kurdic army, which was the best army to join, in which you could achieve something good. But now the Turkish army is attacking them as well, so I wouldn't want to fight for them anymore if I was bombed by Turkey and I wouldn't want to fight against them either, only against the real terrorists and of course against Assad, so then the Turkish army isn't an option either.

Unfortunately this isn't a war where you can join a good army, that fights against Assad and against all the terrorists. I am just really glad that I am not Syrian!

No they aren't refugees... most aren't even Syrian, where ever you are getting your information from is really.. really biased in what they are selectively feeding you there.

If they are too lazy to defend their own country... they don't deserve to go to anyone else's... What about all the OTHER countries in their own region... they can go there... why won't anyone ask or answer THAT question?

I actually knew some Syrians....they were not particularly nice people. In fact they had their diplomatic Immunity Stripped from them and they were deported in a real big hurry. I won't go into details why....but I do know why.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:22 PM
    misspurple77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    No they aren't refugees... most aren't even Syrian, where ever you are getting your information from is really.. really biased in what they are selectively feeding you there.

If they are too lazy to defend their own country... they don't deserve to go to anyone else's... What about all the OTHER countries in their own region... they can go there... why won't anyone ask or answer THAT question?

I actually knew some Syrians....they were not particularly nice people. In fact they had their diplomatic Immunity Stripped from them and they were deported in a real big hurry. I won't go into details why....but I do know why.

I have a Syrian friend and she is very nice. She was the first person who told me that Yezidi's were sold as slaves. Someone didn't even believe her, but within a week it was on the news.

They are not too lazy to defend their own country, there just isn't a good army to join.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:26 PM
    smoothy
    Quote:

I have a Syrian friend and she is very nice. She was the first person who told me that Yezidi's were sold as slaves. Someone didn't even believe her, but within a week it was on the news.

They are not too lazy to defend their own country, there just isn't a good army to join.

That's just a really lame excuse used by people too afraid or too lazy to join, particularly if they are unemployed otherwise. Your country only has one Army ( or more accurately Armed Forces)... you don't get to pick which one (thought there are different branches of the Armed forces that you can in many cases pick from). And if the Citizens won't defend their own country... then why should anyone else put their own lives and money on the line to do it?

If they weren't lazy or a coward they would join...and certainly they aren't in a situation where there are TOO MANY people in it that they were told...sorry..we have enough and don't need any more.

The truth is they aren't willing to make the sacrifice to defend their own country. Because they are either lazy or worse...cowards. I'm willing to say....cowards fit the bill for most of them. Since even Women are part of the Armies in most of the world. The civilized parts anyway.
  • Sep 29, 2015, 02:46 PM
    Wondergirl
    Like misspurple mentioned, there isn't a good army to join. Neither of them have agendas that are for the country's benefit. But citizens running off to other countries doesn't seem like a good answer either.