Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Books & Literature (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Forgotten title of book/film (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=108815)

• Jul 11, 2007, 02:44 AM
    susanis
    Forgotten title of book/film
    There is a book and film about a true story of a man who was institutionalized because of a physical disability who met up with another patient who was believed only to make noises, but the man could quite clearly understand what he was saying and interpreted all that he said for people. I think the title incorporated their first names, something like Freddy and Harry, but I might be mistaken.
  • Jul 15, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Clough
    I have looked, but I'm not coming up with anything. Are there any other bits of information about the book and/or film that you can provide? Other names, places, situations, etc?

Maybe someone will come up with an answer because since I have just responded to your question, it will be more likely to get noticed because it will be more towards the top of the list of questions that need to be answered.
  • Jul 16, 2007, 03:06 AM
    susanis
    Thank you for your help. Now I come to thinkof it it may have been a television programme not a film. I think it was on in the early 80s, and the man was institutionalised as a baby in the 50s. It happened in England, but I can't remember whereabouts.

I can't remember anything else. I only remember thinking about how common it was to institutionalise the physically disabled, and how sad that the other patient had not been able to communicate with anybody, and was thought to be both mentally and physically disabled.
  • Jul 16, 2007, 03:25 AM
    iAMfromHuntersBar
    I've been looking at this question since you posted it too, and I remember the story and the program, but not the name unfortunately! I hope someone finds the answer because it's doing my head in! Lol!
  • Jul 16, 2007, 05:41 PM
    RubyPitbull
    Susan there is a film that I saw that sounds like what you are talking about, but it doesn't have those names you mentioned in the title and I don't remember the time it was set in. One of the young men was paralyzed from the waist down and he was new to the institution and was the only one who could understand a resident whose cerebral palsy made his speech impossible for anyone else to understand. They decide to move out on their own into a handicapped apartment after they find a pretty girl on a pub who agrees to be their nurse. It was made in 2004 and starred Steven Robertson & James McAvoy. In the USA, it was released under the title, "Rory O'Shea Was Here" but in GB, it was released as "Inside I'm Dancing". Here is a link to the synopsis info:
    Inside I'm Dancing (2004)

If this isn't the movie, it is a must see. Both actors did a brilliant job. I really loved the movie.

As an FYI, there was a Norwegian movie called "Elling" that is a lot like this story. Maybe you read the book by Ingvar Ambjornsen called "Blood Brothers"?