Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   How to shift my PC data to laptop, bt laptop is at other place? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=364440)

• Jun 13, 2009, 04:51 AM
    parth_p
    How to shift my PC data to laptop, bt laptop is at other place?
    I have a PC now I am shifting to delhi for 2 months for my summer training , I need to shift my PC too so that I can use my data over there... but I can not shift it ,is there any other option so that I can use my data over there witout having my PC... I will be having a laptop over there,but that laptop is not available here

??
    Help
  • Jun 13, 2009, 04:57 AM
    NeedKarma
    Put it all on a USB memory stick.
  • Jun 13, 2009, 06:27 AM
    ScottGem

Try logmein.com
  • Jun 14, 2009, 08:47 AM
    parth_p
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Put it all on a USB memory stick.

I have an 500GB hard disk... is there any other option?

Can I take my hard disk out and connect it with the laptop or else can I do??
  • Jun 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Perito

Is this an external hard drive?

There are three common types of internal hard drives: IDE (ATA or PARALLEL ATA) and SATA or SATA II. You need an available interface of the same type. You can connect the drive as an additional hard drive. If you try to boot off the drive, you will have trouble (Windows will want to re-authorize, etc).

An IDE interface is characterized by a 40-conductor cable (and a 40-pin connector). A single IDE interface can handle 2 drives.

Parallel ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SATA interfaces have many fewer conductors (6 for a standard connector, 9 for a micro connector), and generally there are more available plug-ins. Of course, you need a connector on the MoBo that matches the cable. A single interface can handle only one drive.

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Jun 14, 2009, 02:35 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by parth_p View Post
    i have an 500GB hard disk.....is there any other option??

can i take my hard disk out n connect it with the laptop or else can i do ???

Sure you may have a 500G Hard disk, but how much of it is being used? How much of it has data on it that you want to keep with you. You may find your data files will fit on a flashdrive. They are coming in 32G sizes now.

Or you may go for a portable external drive. With capacities of 320G for arouns $100 that may be a better option.
  • Jun 15, 2009, 03:42 AM
    robse071

It all depends on the magnitude of the data you want carry along. If your data are few in number and they are collectively not so big in size, then an external storage device such as a flash drive of say 10GB can save you the stress. But if your data are much and require a big space, then you need an external hard drive of a corresponding size to store them, and then be carrying it along to anywhere. Cheers!!
  • Jun 15, 2009, 06:25 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robse071 View Post
    such as a flash drive of say 10GB can save you the stress.

Have you ever seen a flash drive of 10GB? I never have. Flash drives have always been in multiples of bytes. Currently you see them in 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 Gig sizes. I think the earliest ones start with 16M and then went to 64, 256, 512 and finally broke the 1G mark.
  • Jun 22, 2009, 09:33 AM
    robse071
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Have you ever seen a flash drive of 10GB? I never have.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't think of the corresponding sizes of flash drives