Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Nutrition (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   A better Diabetic Drink (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=814288)

• Jul 19, 2015, 02:44 PM
    catonsville
    A better Diabetic Drink
    Being Diabetic, was just wondering if there is something out there, besides plain water that I can buy? Water is great, but sometimes one wants something other than Diet Soda. Trying to get away from drinking 5-6 per day. Any choices? Missing to many brain cells as it is.
  • Jul 19, 2015, 05:04 PM
    tickle
    You can drink what you want as long as you read the labels to see how much sugar is in the drink. I am a type 2 diabetic and drink whatever I want but no Pepsi or coke. My fasting blood work is in the normal range.
  • Jul 20, 2015, 08:33 AM
    ma0641
    Tick-How about Sprite Zero? No sugar or Caffiene
  • Jul 20, 2015, 08:56 AM
    DoulaLC
    If you can curb the diet sodas, all the better. Crystal Light and iced tea with or without artificial sweetener are options as well. There are a number of flavored waters available as well... just read labels. Much of it will be trial and error and see what happens with your levels.
  • Jul 20, 2015, 09:10 AM
    catonsville
    Also trying to do away with the Brain Cell Killer "Aspartame".
  • Jul 20, 2015, 09:38 AM
    DoulaLC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Also trying to do away with the Brain Cell Killer "Aspartame".

Likely a good idea.....at least watch the amount. People react differently to different sweeteners, and this holds true for diabetics as well. Personally, I stick with very limited amount of sugar over artificial sweeteners. Do you like hot tea? There are different flavors. Another good option is to make your own smoothies or vegetable juices. That way you can limit the ingredients and the amounts that you want.
  • Jul 21, 2015, 03:06 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Tick-How about Sprite Zero? No sugar or Caffiene

Possibly aspartame. Stevia sweetener is natural. OP could make iced tea and use Stevia as the sweetener.
  • Feb 23, 2016, 06:06 AM
    joypulv
    (This post is a bit too old to drag out, but it's a good topic.)

I would stay away from ALL sodas, diet or not. Diabetics have enough problems without including artificial ingredients that aren't fully understood.
    I 'flavor' water with juices, usually real grape or real apple cider, about 2 tablespoons for every 12 ounces of water.
    On very hot days, just real lemon juice in water, no sweetener.
  • Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 AM
    Arran Alston
    It is always advisable for a diabetic patient to avoid anything that contains added sugar, caffeine, alcohol and any kind of hydrated drink. It is best to make your own fresh fruit juice and carry it around. Apart from that you can have milk and soya milk shake, add honey and nuts into it put in freezer and you will have a healthy drink.
  • Feb 23, 2016, 01:49 PM
    smoothy
    Honey is still a sugar... your body will see it as such. And many fruit juices have just as much if not more sugar as regular soft drinks have. They will of course at least have some nutritional benefit the soda doesn't have.