Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Antivirus (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408)
-   -   Not understanding AVG Virus Scan results (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=55034)

• Jan 16, 2007, 05:13 AM
    RickJ
    1 Attachment(s)
    Not understanding AVG Virus Scan results
    I'm scanning a laptop HD that's plugged into my computer here at work as an external.
    So far (it's not done yet), here is where it's at. As you can see, it says "no threats found yet".

... so what are those two .dll files with "Change" indicated under the "Result/Infection" column?

Thanks!
  • Jan 16, 2007, 05:48 AM
    NeedKarma
    Windows Update sometimes install new versions of system files. Well you'd better hope it's done by Windows Update. :)
  • Jan 16, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Thomas1970
    Hi Rick,
    I'm not familiar with this particular software, but I'm assuming it is simply noting a change in the file since the last scan. Many viruses often attempt to mimic Windows system files, therefore the alert. No known virus found, but noteworthy none the less.
    I looked it up online for a possible answer, and here is a page that seems to confirm this:

Computing.Net - AVG--- change

Hope this helps. Take care.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:24 AM
    RickJ
    Dang, the scan is taking forever. So far 22,000 objects scanned... 1 Hr 24 min.

Typically my scans are done at midnight so I never see how long it takes. Does that sound unusually long for a virus scan? That HD can't have more than 10-15GB on it.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
    NeedKarma
    It shouldn't take that long. AVG scans 60,000+ files on my PC in less time. Maybe it's related to that timeout problem in your other thread.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Thomas1970
    That does sound like an awful long time for that amount of data. I haven't done a thorough check of my system in a while, though I use Avast, and it generally scans my three 80GB drives in just under four hours if I recall correctly. Two of the drives being full, one about a third so. About 180-some gigs of data, typically scanning some 80,000 objects. There does appear to be some minor redundancy with Avast, and that may be the case with this program as well, though the types of files seem often to make a difference also. Zip archives for instance take forever with Avast, whereas photos are extremely quick.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:42 AM
    RickJ
    1 Attachment(s)
    Aah crap. It IS stuck. It's been at this for at least 15 minutes now. Head hits desk. I'm having a horrible day.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Scouter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJ
    I'm scanning a laptop HD that's plugged into my computer here at work as an external.
    So far (it's not done yet), here is where it's at. As you can see, it says "no threats found yet".

...so what are those two .dll files with "Change" indicated under the "Result/Infection" column?

Thanks!

AVG is reporting that a change has occurred in your system files which is usually an indication of a virus unless the files in question are dynamic in nature and are expected to change. For example a time and date change are normal activity. The program is just being thorough.
  • Jan 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Scouter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickJ
    Dang, the scan is taking forever. So far 22,000 objects scanned...1 Hr 24 min.

Typically my scans are done at midnight so I never see how long it takes. Does that sound unusually long for a virus scan? That HD can't have more than 10-15GB on it.

To reduce scan time clean up your computer first. CCleaner.com is an excellent utility which removes unnecessary files from your machine thus decreasing scan time. Another factor can be programs interfering or competing with AVG. Running the scan in Safe Mode will reduce this possibility.

Install ccleaner. Then dble click the ccleaner link on desktop. Run cleaner lower right Exit the program.
    Update AVG.
    Physically disconnect your connection to the internet.
    Start computer in safe mode
    Run AVG
    When it is finished reconnect cable for internet and start normally
  • Jan 17, 2007, 04:46 AM
    RickJ
    Thanks, all. I tried EZ Recovery Professional, and even had OnTrack run a remote test on the drive and it seems it's a hardware issue :(

I've
    I'm shipping it off to them for a full diagnosis, list of retrievable files, and price to retrieve them.

Sadly, I already know it will be about $600. I'm scrounging through my various backup locations to see if I've got enough to not have to pay to get it all back.