Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Mental & Emotional Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Professional ethics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=182114)

• Feb 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
    dasabens
    Professional ethics
    My brother is a small business owner and has some mental health issues.
    He sees two mental health professionals--one is a psychologist and the other
    One is a nurse practitioner who he was introduced to by the psychologist.

The problem is two fold----he sees them each at least twice a month and
    More each time they change the medecine that he is on which is happens
    Almost monthly.

Secondly---they both have a circle of friends that are in business related activities
    Like designing business cards and web sites etc and keep introducing my brother
    To these people who get him to spend money on things that he would never consider
    On his own----THE MONEY HE IS BEING ENCOURAGED TO SPEND GETS NO RESULTS
    AND IN MOST CASES THE WORK DONE IS SUBSTANDARD AND HARMFUL IN A LOT
    OF THE CASES.

HE IS IN A WEB OF COMMISSION AND FEE DRIVEN VULTURES THAT ARE PRAYING
    ON HIS MENTAL VULNERABILTY

IS THIS TYPE OF THING ETHICAL AND WHAT CAN WE AND SHOULD WE DO?
  • Feb 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Choux
    Only an MD can change or alter a patient's medicine, for mental health, that would usually be a psychiatrist or an internist. I don't feel like your question holds together very well... can you clarify with additional details? What does the nurse practitioner do for him, for example?

Thanks,
  • Feb 9, 2008, 07:18 PM
    pasiria
    I don't think anyone encourages your brother. They simply introduce him and he makes his decisions. They are not breaking any ethical rules. Owning your own business can produce high levels of stress and anxiety. I was there once. If your brother can keep his own business, then he must be able to manage his deals. I think that he will learn through trial and error. I personally fell that you a very concern for your brother. He is an adult and you need to stop woring about him.. It's natural, you do it out of love, but I don't think anyone here is to blame for his bad results. Do you really think that those professionals who make great money are praying like vultures on your brother's money. Think about it. I don't think so. One advice would be to confront the vultures. Tell them how you feel, I would if I were you. When it comes to family, you need to step in if necessary. Once you had a talk, maybe things will seem clear to you. If he is your younger brother, you might be feeling over-protective. Maybe you've always been like a parent to your brother.
  • Feb 9, 2008, 07:30 PM
    shygrneyzs
    If you are concerned about his ability to manage his own money, have you thought of a conservatorship or a representative payeee? Talk to your brother about this - having someone to safeguard his funds from outside ventures that would only take his money and possibly prey upon his mental health problems.

If he is his own guardian, perhaps it is time to talk about having a guardian. That does not mean it has to be a full guardianship. Can be only for financial matters. If he agrees to this, it makes it easier for you. If not, you would have to pursue this via the courts. Even if he agrees, it still is a legal process.

I am confused about the medication changes. A psychologist cannot make medication changes. A psychiatrist can, an M.D. can, even the nurse practitioner can. You make it sound like there are two changes a month - is this true? Why the changes so many times and what are the changes? What are the medications and what is the justification for the meds and the med changes? What tests are done on your brother to warrant the meds and the med adjustments?