Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Science (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   Every one has a twin (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=27446)

• Jun 7, 2006, 04:34 PM
    J_9
    Every one has a twin
    Well, guys and gals, we have all heard that everyone has a twin somewhere in this world. Well, my daughter found hers in 3rd grade and they have been best friends ever since. My husband could not even tell them apart for a brief moment after he met the twin. Their third grade teacher had to put them on different sides of the room and their swim team coach makes them wear swim caps of different colors.

So, my question here is:

Have any of you met your twin? Or do you know someone who has?
  • Jun 7, 2006, 05:11 PM
    Chery
    I met mine at the age of 16. She lived in the same town too. One day at the bustop, I thought I was seeing things, but there she was. The ironic thing was that we both had step-fathers and they were both Engineers.

Anything's possible.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_9_16.gif
  • Jun 7, 2006, 05:44 PM
    J_9
    Pretty weird, isn't it!!

Even us mothers get the two mixed up every once in a while.
  • Jun 7, 2006, 06:02 PM
    magprob
    Yes, one day I was reading Mad magazine and there I was... Alfred E. Newman. I thought he was a real person but come to find out, they stole my picture from an ugly kid contest my mother had entered me in and illegally used it all these years! So to sum it all up... no, I have not met my twin since I was actually the twin I thought I had found. As for Chery's post, I think I would look into that a little deeper.
  • Jun 7, 2006, 06:08 PM
    educatedhorse_2005
    I know that every body has a twin it is just my wife had my sons when she had him. Twin boys
  • Jun 7, 2006, 06:10 PM
    magprob
    Well I hope they don't look like me! :)
  • Jun 7, 2006, 06:11 PM
    J_9
    Mag, you truly have the face only a mother can love!!

Oops, sorry Alfred
  • Jun 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
    educatedhorse_2005
    Thank good they look like there mother.
    My avatar is a self portrait
  • Jun 7, 2006, 08:22 PM
    orange
    This is slightly off topic, but my biological mother, who was a paranoid schizophrenic, insisted that when she had me she had given birth to twins. Even when she was relatively stable on meds she insisted that I had a twin sister whom the doctors had stolen from her. When I was younger I used to wish it was true, but I haven't met my twin yet. :(
  • Jun 7, 2006, 09:07 PM
    educatedhorse_2005
    Just keep looking they are out there probable looking for you.
  • Jun 7, 2006, 09:12 PM
    educatedhorse_2005
    1 Attachment(s)
    These are my twins
  • Jun 7, 2006, 09:14 PM
    orange
    Very cute!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Jun 7, 2006, 11:15 PM
    magprob
    WOOW! That kind of rattles me. Do you think there is even a slight chance that she was telling the truth. I think we once spoke about writing a novel. There you go. Sounds like a good story to me.

Just kidding Demon, that are very cute!
  • Jun 8, 2006, 12:26 AM
    Krs
    Very cute demonspeeding :)

I have heard about having a twin somewhere in this world.. so far I haven't yet found my twin..!
    It must surely be quite weird though, to see your twin around.
  • Jun 8, 2006, 04:45 AM
    J_9
    I'll get a pic of my "girls" today or tomorrow and post it. They do not look identical anymore, more like fraternal.

My friend has fraternal twins and my "girls" look more alike than they do.
  • Jun 8, 2006, 10:39 AM
    orange
    Quote:

Originally Posted by magprob
    WOOW! That kind of rattles me. Do you think there is even a slight chance that she was telling the truth. I think we once spoke about writing a novel. There you go. Sounds like a good story to me.

Well I never used to believe her, because she said a lot of outrageous things, but then after her death I started doing some research, got a hold of her medical records, tried to find people who knew her, etc. Then just about a year ago, I had a weird thing happen... my mother had always insisted that she had been in a movie with Arlo Guthrie, and of course her doctors and everyone thought it was delusional. Well I FOUND THAT MOVIE!! It's called Alice's Restaurant. My mother was an "extra" in it, one of the hippies haha, but it's definitely her! So that got me to wondering what else she was telling the truth about... I'm still looking for people who knew her. Actually I recently wrote to Arlo Guthrie to see if he remembered her at all, and I'm waiting to hear back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krs
    Very cute demonspeeding :)

I have heard about having a twin somewhere in this world.. so far I havnt yet found my twin...!!
    It must surely be quite weird though, to see your twin around.

That would be great. I'm really curious as to how similar they are!
  • Jun 8, 2006, 11:33 AM
    magprob
    Orange! Do you realize the odds of her telling the truth? You need to do everything you can to either prove or disprove this. You are really creeping me out with this one! :)

"You can get anything you want, at Alices resturant."
  • Jun 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
    orange
    LOL sorry to creep you out! But it does make me wonder what else she was telling the truth about, or at least, if there was some grain of truth behind many of the outrageous things she said! My adoptive dad is a psychiatrist, and he says that delusional people often have a delusion that in somewhat based in reality. In any event, if I find anything out I will keep everyone here informed!

Btw there's an interesting documentary about a woman who reminds me a lot of my mother... it's called Jupiter's Wife: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110217/. I believe it won some awards at Sundance and some other film festivals. The woman in it was a paranoid schizophrenic living in Central Park. She told the creator of the film that she used to drive a buggy through Central Park, and also that she had been a contestant on What's My Line. In the course of the film, the creator discovered that what she said was true (she worked as a buggy driver, and he was able to find and show vintage a clip of her on What's My Line), and wondered about her other statements, which seemed kind of far fetched. It was kind of eerie the way she reminded me of my mother... not just in what she said, but in her mannerisms, behaviour, etc. It's a good film to watch if you are into documentaries and can find it!

Anyway sorry Janine, this was a bit off topic. I promise to shut up now... back to twins! :)