Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   I can't boot from CD (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=152317)

• Nov 15, 2007, 05:51 AM
    wari
    I cant boot from CD
    I tried booting from thecd but I cant. I wanted to do XP system repair. It doesn't give the option... I even checked on the BIOS to see if it is the first and the computer is reading the CD drive. Can you help me...
  • Nov 15, 2007, 07:18 AM
    donf
    Good mormming,

During the POST activitity, do you see the CD drive lite up for a brief amount of time?

If you don't see a momentary hit on the CD drive, then your BIOS is set incorrectly.

If you see the hit, then more than likley, the boot record on the cr disc is trashed.
  • Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
    wari
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donf
    Good mormming,

During the POST activitity, do you see the CD drive ?

If you don't see a momentary hit on the CD drive, then your BIOS is set incorrectly.

If you see the hit, then more than likley, the boot record on the cr disc is trashed.

Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? Cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc
  • Nov 16, 2007, 03:00 AM
    wari
    Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? Cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc
  • Nov 16, 2007, 03:06 AM
    wari
    Comment on donf's post
    Because now I know what to check
  • Nov 16, 2007, 07:29 AM
    askjuba
    Was the CD (unit / the hardware) working before being unable to boot from it? Thanks,
  • Nov 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
    donf
    Wari,

Okay, let's back up a couple of steps. If you are trying to boot off the actual XP data discs, that may be your problem. Did your system come preloaded?

Can you boot off your hard drive? Are you trying to run a ststem restore? What type of system repair are you trying to do?
  • Nov 16, 2007, 09:37 PM
    dualcore38130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wari
    I tried booting from thecd but I cant. I wanted to do XP system repair. It doesn't give the option...I even checked on the BIOS to see if it is the first and the computer is reading the CD drive. Can you help me...

There will be problem with your drive or cd you change any one of them and then try :in oeder to bott from disk in bios you have set boot from disk to first preference then it will work or else it not
  • Nov 19, 2007, 06:08 AM
    babtothy01
    How do I play a dvd on the computer
  • Nov 21, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Matteus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wari
    Hi!

Thanks for response, I do see the CD Drive lite up for a brief amount of time. Do you think the discs I am booting with are damaged? cause I have used more that 1 Windows XP disc

Does your old windows XP boot normally? If so, you can put another cd, after windows boots up, and than check if the cd-rom reads the cd you have putted. It may be that your cd-rom is crashed, or its head is a little dirty. You may try to cleans the head of your cd-rom, either manually, or with a clean disk. If again, the cd-rom doesn't read the cds you have putted, its better to get a new cd-rom.