Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Symmons temptrol diverter - shower will not come on (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=546750)

• Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
    andymehra
    Symmons temptrol diverter - shower will not come on
    My diverter is not working (water will not come out of shower - it only comes out of tub spout when I turn T-31). I have read helpful suggestions from MARK on how to replace the diverter spindle(T-21C and TA-25B/TA-25A). My question is:

Before I try to replace diverter spindle, I want to know if this could fix the problem or I should look into something else.

I have tried replacing the diverter (T-30) but that has not solve the problem. T-30 is not engaging with the spindle.

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Jan 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
    massplumber2008
    3 Attachment(s)

Hi Andy...

Before you go removing the entire spindle assembly be sure to remove the SHOWER HEAD and check to make sure it isn't clogged... could be... ;)

If the shower head isn't clogged, then remove the trim plate and look into the diverter spindle... you will see the hole the T-30 slips into and you'll want to take a small flat head screwdriver and see if you can spin the spindle to the left and right while the tub is on and see if you can engage the spindle to send water up to the shower head. If that works, then the spindle needs to be replaced and you should be all set.

For ease of removal I will repost the steps to replace the spindle:

Remove all of the chrome trim parts and then you will need a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the DIVERTER RETAINER and a 5/16" x 3" LAG BOLT to remove the DIVERTER SPINDLE itself. Although the bolt sounds wrong it is exactly what Symmons recommends.

You will need to screw the 5/16" lag bolt into the spindle and then give a strong YANK to remove the old spindle (hold valve body here). To install the new spindle you will need to grease (silicone grease) the new spindle at the O-RING to insert it into the valve body... push hard to seat it. Then re-install the retainer (be careful not to drop it... ) and test all.

Questions? Let me know...

Mark
  • Jan 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
    andymehra
    Thanks Mark - you are a magician. Tried the screw driver insider T-30 hole and was able to send the water up the shower head. My family can now take shower. I will be heading to the local homedepot in few minutes to get the new spindle. Will report back on the progress after replacing.
  • Jan 22, 2011, 12:56 PM
    massplumber2008

Good news!

Please post back on the results.

Mark
  • Jan 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
    andymehra
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks Mark! The instructions were quite idiot proof. Was able to replace in less than 30 minutes. Appreciate all the help...

Best,
    Andy Mehra
  • Jan 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
    massplumber2008

Thank you for taking the time to post back on the results!