Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Sharp stabbing pain below left breast,above ribcage (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=229695)

• Jun 22, 2008, 11:28 PM
    sicksince02
    Sharp stabbing pain below left breast,above ribcage
    Hello,I am a 28 yr old female with many health conditions. I have Ulcerative Colitis and Mulitple Sclerosis. I had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago because I have Bilary Discanasia(sp?),the gall bladder was working at 10 %. I also had an edometrial ablation done at that time,because of severe anemia. Nothing was helping my blood loss and count... so.. anyhow I have had Shingles at age 24... so I wouldn't rule out anything as to be what is causing this problem...

I have been having(on and off,but more recently ON) a sharp stab pain under my left breast(in the center) but above my rib cage. I don't need to be active to get this pain,I can be sitting peacefully watching TV. Anything I can find searching is Spleen Disease... I don't know though since the spleen is larger then the pain I am getting. Not sure if that makes any sense? My pain is almost like a direct knife being shoved right under my breast. It makes it hard for me to breath in and out deeply. I have to wait for the feeling to pass before I can get any "good air"... without pain. I can shallow breath of course with little to no pain at all. But deep breathing is a real issue.

Any thoughts or advice would be great! Oh and I just finished with an MS flare up about 1.5 monthes ago. I was on a 3 day steroid infusion and larger oral steroids. Not sure if this would cause it... but thought I would mention in case.
  • Jun 23, 2008, 12:53 AM
    simoneaugie
    MS can cause weird pain, unexplained pain. It can give me what feels like growing pains in my limbs, or pain with my leg not working normally or something. But the location of the pain you are describing and the pain with deep breathing could mean that you just need a spinal adjustment from a chiropractor.

Do you stretch every day? Have you asked your neurologist what this pain may be? I'm sorry to read about all the troubles you're having!
  • Jun 24, 2008, 10:50 AM
    sicksince02
    I haven't had the chance to talk to my nuero about it yet... I have seen a chiro in the past,but stopped going this past winter when I started getting sick again. I can try the chiro again and see if anything can help that way. Thanks!
  • Jun 24, 2008, 11:46 AM
    smearcase
    You need to see a physician right away. Warnings about acting on chest pain don't say, seek medical help, unless you have some way to explain the pain away. There are many things that could cause the pain I admit, but the most dangerous possible cause has to be ruled out first. Best wishes to you.
  • Jun 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
    J_9
    I agree with smearcase. You need to get emergent medical care. NEVER ignore chest pain. There are many things that could be causing this pain, but everything needs to be explored.
  • Jun 24, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Choux
    I would guess that the *stabbing pain* is from your digestive system. You have been through a lot of medical problems lately along with anxiety, naturally, and it could be that your anxiety is showing itself as stomach pains or digestive system disturbances such as ulcers.

I have a lot of heart problems, and I have never had a stabbing pain in my chest, *but* that does not mean it is not possible, of course. I had a terrible pain going up my neck when I had a heart attack. Females often have symptoms much different from men's when it comes to heart attacks. Men often report a crushing sensation on their chests.

Always a good idea to phone your physician for his/her opinion and perhaps office visit.

Best wishes,
  • Jun 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
    sicksince02
    Thank you all for you support and words of wisdom. I know this probably sounds stupid to most,but I have gone through sooo much these past few years,to add something else just seems un-do-able... I will make a call tomorrow to my family Dr and see about getting in asap. I will keep you all posted..