Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Adoption (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does a person who gave up their rights have any legal right to my child? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=43472)

• Nov 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
    dbek
    Does a person who gave up their rights have any legal right to my child?
    We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not in the best interest of the child. He always said he has grandfather rights since he was the grandfather, but he adopted her when she was 2 months old because his granddaughter didn't take care of the child. I just wish he would leave us alone. We've tried moving and getting anlisted phone #. But because of circumstances beyond my control he found us and has started it back up. Please any advice I would appreciate. Thank You!
  • Nov 17, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Ok, a grandfather, adopted his grandchild, then gave the child up for adoption??

So tell him to take it to court, ( first I bet he won't) and if he signed over all rights, that means he has no rights.

I would brief your attorney that did the adoption that it may happen. Also if he keeps coming over and causing a problem, get a restraining order against him.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
    J_9
    This is a duplicate post. Please read here.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
    dbek
    Yes, sorry I don't know how to take one of them off. I tried to edit the question so people understand it more. I'm new to this and not sure how it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9
    This is a duplicate post. Please read here.

• Nov 17, 2006, 06:30 PM
    J_9
    That is okay. It is just easier to post your question once and, it may take some time, but you will get some responses.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 06:35 PM
    dbek
    I didn't know it went on twice, and I don't know how to take it off. I tried and couldn't figure out how to take the one off.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
    J_9
    Not to worry, the Moderators will most likely merge the two together. No big deal.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
    dbek
    OK, thank you! Guess my mind was elsewhere.
  • Nov 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
    RichardBondMan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbek
    We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not in the best interest of the child. He alway said he has grandfather rights since he was the grandfather, but he adopted her when she was 2 months old because his granddaughter didn't take care of the child. I just wish he would leave us alone. We've tried moving and getting anlisted phone #. But because of circumstances beyond my control he found us and has started it back up. Please any advice I would appreciate. Thank You!

I doubt any Judge, Court or Jury would give visitation rights to anyone who like you said "gave up his rights" - (hey you just answered your question!! ) and who now has no rights in reference to the child especially considering his mental instability. Like a prior answer, I would run it by the attorney who did the adopton for your current spouse just in case.