Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Windows (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Activate Windows XP Home (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=21540)

• Feb 23, 2006, 08:42 PM
    cleancondenser
    Activate Windows XP Home
    Recently installed Windows XP Home edition ON work computer
    Do not have Internet world wide web access
    Receive prompt
    Have 11 days left to activate Windows XP

What will happen if I do not activate
  • Feb 23, 2006, 09:55 PM
    qwertyman
    I believe that Windows OS will stop working...
    You know you can do it over the phone..
  • Feb 24, 2006, 03:45 AM
    RickJ
    Yes, it will stop working.
    Here are the instructions from MS:

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.
    Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
  • Feb 24, 2006, 05:15 AM
    fredg
    Hi,
    Very Good, rickj, can't make any comments as yet for "approval".
  • Feb 24, 2006, 02:34 PM
    cleancondenser
    Can I install the Windows XP CD on more than one computer
  • Feb 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
    phillysteakandcheese
    You must have a separate license for each Windows XP Home installation.
  • Feb 24, 2006, 05:11 PM
    cleancondenser
    How do I obtain the License?
  • Feb 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
    phillysteakandcheese
    You have to purchase it.

Most computer stores can sell you a new copy of Windoe XP Home. You might be bale to find somewhere that can sell you just a license key (no CD) for a little less.
  • Feb 25, 2006, 06:15 AM
    RickJ
    cleancondenser, you say you installed WinXP then you ask how you get a license.

... do you not have a license?
  • Feb 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Nez
    I should'nt really post just for the sake of it,but I will.Each copy of XP has it's own separate license,unique to your PC.So after you activate with MS,before the thirty days are up,their servers will "see" if your copy of XP is genuine,via their database.If not...
    That's why,if you install extra hardware,after you've activated,you can be asked,to go over the process for a second time.Illegal keys won't wash with MS,I won't say why or how,but please don't bother.Get a legal copy.It's much more fun,and honest.
  • Feb 25, 2006, 07:34 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cleancondenser
    Can I install the Windows XP CD on more than one computer

I'm going to add my 2 cents in here. You don't buy software, you purchase a license to use that software. The author still owns the software. The license (referred to as the End-User License Agreement or EULA) specifies the terms by which that software can be used. Usually during the installation routine, there is a point where you have to agree to abide by the EULA and are given the opportunity to read it.

Every piece of software has its own terms for use. Generally, though the license is for installation on 1-2 PCs, with the proviso that only one is being used at a time. This is so people don't have to purchase 2 licenses for home and work or desktop and laptop. Windows, or any operating system, is licensed for ONE PC. The activation feature of Win XP is to prevent people from pirating copies and installing on multiple machines which is illegal. Any use of software in violation of the terms of the EULA is considered illegal.
  • Jan 16, 2011, 03:02 AM
    mongku
    Stop working