Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Real Estate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   My roommate is PSYCHO! I need out! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=151867)

• Nov 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
    BerBer89
    My roommate is PSYCHO! I need out!
    So me and my 2 best friends moved in with their older sister about 4 months ago and were on a one year lease. Soon after we moved in together we figured out that she is IMPOSSIBLE to live with. I won't get into details but we pretty much hate her and we want to get out ASAP. We went and talked to our landlord about anything we could do and she gave us 2 options:

1. We could all sign a tenant release form which would allow the 3 of us to move out and their sister keep the apartment.

OR

2. We could break our lease which would consist of paying a fee of 1500 dollars and all of us moving out.

Well here's the problem with option 1:
    Their sister doesn't make enough to keep the apartment on her own so she wouldn't even be approved to keep it.

Problem with option 2:
    Their sister is absolutely ridiculous and refuses to move anywhere else or sign paperwork allowing all of us to move out.

We NEED to get out of here. If we don't, it will lead to eviction and we would like to avoid that if we can. Is there any other way we could break our lease?

Thank You :D
  • Nov 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
    charlotte234s
    I think it's important to worry about yourself before someone else, especially if this someone else is the reason why you can't stay here.
  • Nov 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BerBer89
    Is there any other way we could break our lease?

Hello Ber:

Not really.

I would take option #2. I know you don't think you have any control over the situation, but you have more than you think. Unless the sister has NO credit to be ruined, then you can just tell her that you're taking that option, and moving. She'll either go along with you, or her credit will be ruined along with yours.

Maybe she's THAT psycho, or maybe she's not. However, YOU have nothing more to lose by taking that position, and everything to gain. Besides, I don't see ANY other choice.

If she doesn't pay her share, then you pay it and sue her.

excon
  • Nov 14, 2007, 06:58 AM
    LILL
    If you leave as described in option #2 and the sister refuses to leave, she can take you to court and sue for the remaining term of the lease.
  • Nov 14, 2007, 07:23 AM
    ScottGem
    Well some of this depends on the landlord and how the lease is worded. If you are all signed on the lease, then you probably have to act in concert. If the sis won't cooperate, I would go back to the landlord and make a counter offer. Tell the landlord the three of you agree to pay the $1500 buyout but the sister won't. So you will pay the buyout and leave. If the sister still insists on staying, you will reimburse the landlord for any costs for evicting her.

The sister is then faced with a few choices. Either she moves too (paying the $1500), she pays for the apartment herself, she gets new roommates to replace you three or she gets evicted. I do not believe she can sue you for moving out on her.

Faced with those choices she may decide to move. But it will no longer be your concern.

If you do this (accept the buyout offer) make sure you get it writing that the landlord has agreed to terminate the lease and you are no longer responsible.