Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Comfortmaker RPJ Heat Exchanger blower fan and ac unit (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=351949)

• May 10, 2009, 06:35 AM
    skeeterstl
    Comfortmaker RPJ Heat Exchanger blower fan and ac unit
    I have a Comfortmaker RPJ model G-011 400050 - 08M -PD that when the power is turned on to the unit, the blower fan runs continuously and the outside AC unit runs continuously no matter what mode is set at the thermostat. (A/C or Heat). I just moved into the place and the thermostat looks like it was replaced. The current thermostat is a RiteTemp. When selected to Heat mode, the furnace ignites and heats, but the outside AC unit is also running.
  • May 10, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Joshdta

Sounds like there may be a wire touching at the t-stat or the control board is going bad
  • May 10, 2009, 07:49 AM
    skeeterstl
    Thanks for the info, I checked the wiring and can't see any touching, the indoor unit could use a good cleaning though, looks like it hasn't been cleaned in quite some time. Also, I forgot to mention in the original post that when switching from Auto to On with the stat, that the motor makes a change in sound but doesn't change speeds or do anything different other than continue to run.
  • May 10, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Joshdta

Turn the power off snap the t-stat off the wall then turn the power back on and see if it comes on.
  • May 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
    skeeterstl
    The stat doesn't pop off, I had to disconnect all wires from stat. When I did that, and turned power back on, the fan came on.
  • May 10, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Joshdta

What about the outdoor unit is it running? Sounds like you may have a bad fan relay
  • May 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
    skeeterstl

Yes, the outside unit is running as well.
  • May 10, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Joshdta

Well next it sounds like you will need to take the t-stat wire loose form the control board in the bottom door of your furnace and see if the fan and ac still ccme on.
  • May 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
    skeeterstl

Should I remove all three wires that go to the t-stat?
  • May 10, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Joshdta

Yes, you can try that
  • May 10, 2009, 08:55 AM
    skeeterstl

Disconnected wires for t-stat, blower did not come on, but outdoor unit did come on.
  • May 10, 2009, 08:56 AM
    skeeterstl

Removed wires to t-stat, blower did not come on, but outdoor unit did come on.
  • May 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Joshdta

Does the outdoor un it only go off when the breaker is shut off to it? Or does it go off when you turn the furnace off?
  • May 10, 2009, 11:20 AM
    skeeterstl

It only goes off when you shut it off at the breaker box.
  • May 10, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Joshdta

OK sounds like the contactor is stuck on the ac unit. That would be why the ac does not shut off now we need to find out if the fan will shut off. Is the ac the only thing messed up right now? Or will the indoor fan still not shut off either?
  • May 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
    skeeterstl

Right now the ac is the only thing that will run. I have all wires from t-stat still disconnected and the fan does not come on when power is restored to the furnace.
  • May 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
    skeeterstl
    I will connect all wires back and connect the t-stat again and see what happens.
  • May 10, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Joshdta

OK good if everything is working but the ac I can tell you how to check the contactor
  • May 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
    skeeterstl

Reconnected wires from t-stat back to panel on furnace unit, did not connect wires to t-stat, turned power back on to the furnace unit and blower fan comes on. Is this supposed to happen. A/C unit is still shut off at breaker box.
  • May 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Joshdta

Maybe, some furnaces have a 1 min 30 sec blower on delay after statrt up. Does it go off or is it still running??