Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Claims (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=303)
-   -   Auto accident claim (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=193524)

• Mar 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
    grantraz
    Auto accident claim
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.R. and released the same day. Im not looking for major money just want what's fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?
  • Mar 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grantraz
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.R. and released the same day. Im not looking for major money just want whats fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?

My thoughts would be not to settle "short" or too soon - make sure there are no permanent medical problems.

At one point Attorneys were saying (with minor injuries) that 3 times the medical bill is/was a fair settlement.

In most cases I see (and I certainly don't see them all) the insurance company makes one offer to the person involved - and that's it. Anything after that requires an Attorney. Also keep in mind anything you say can - and probably will - be used against you if this gets any more involved. And you would be AMAZED what people say! You have said there was minimal damage - and I've seen terrible injuries with minor damage but that is not the norm.

So, sure, make a counteroffer and see where it goes but expect the company to then withdraw its initial offer and force you into an Attorney's office. The company does not have to deal with you - you are not the injured party although you probably are your son's natural guardian.

Insurance companies are supposed to make you whole, not rich, but you've already said you aren't trying to get wealthy on this.

(What State are you in?)
  • Dec 15, 2011, 11:45 PM
    LegalEagle1
    You always have the right to counter an offer. If you believe the offer is too low, yes.

Consider the following list of items before considering a settlement: Lawsuit Settlement Offer

Remember, if you agree to the settlement, you can't come back later for additional money.
  • Dec 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
    twinkiedooter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grantraz View Post
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.are. And released the same day. I'm not looking for major money just want what's fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?

You apparently are looking for the pot of gold from this accident. What do you consider an unfair settlement amount? Did the settlement pay all your medical bills? And exactly how long were any of your family members incapacitated from this accident or are you just whining that you were not offered the moon? If you are unhappy about this settlement then get a good personal injury attorney involved to hopefully get you some more cash. A rear ender with minimal damage shoud not net you a small fortune if you did not require a lot of medical attention.
    Sorry.
  • Dec 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
    JudyKayTee
    This is from 2008 - should be closed.